PDA

View Full Version : Changing Speakers

Arxon
02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi to everybody, I'm planning to change the speakers of my e34. Everybody says that I should use door panels because the original cases are too deep,so the sound will not be so good from them. On the other hand I don't want to touch the door cover.What are your recomendations? Thank you.

bahnstormer
02-20-2005, 07:57 PM
take a look at this thread

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316353

http://www.bigfootdesigns.com/bimmer_forum/jimmyz/door26.jpg

RobPatt
02-20-2005, 08:39 PM
... and the ski boot pass through opened.... not audiophile quality, but i hear things in my CDs that I never knew were there... and I got a POS Blau headunit... very happy... kappas from e-bay buy-it-now for about $150. -Rob.

jplacson
02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Just stuff the original kick panels with acoustifoam! :) You keep the OEM look, and improve sound proofing of your car just a bit more! :)

jjw
02-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I would use the original location in the kick panel. It is the ideal location for the speakers. A lot of high end stereo place will put speaker there for the sound stage and travel. Door speaker will have the sound blocked by the legs and will be less ideal for the stageing of the sound.

spoolinturbo
02-21-2005, 12:30 AM
i just replaced all my speakers and headunit and re-wired everything!! previous owner apparently was no good wiring and blew everything. and experimented with hard-wiring...but i would stick with OEM location, less hassle, more convienience
jeff

me4mimes
02-21-2005, 04:25 PM
i was able to fit in 6.5" oversized speakers in the back by removing the entire plastic unit and creating a new brace out of plywood that can squeeze in there. it works amazing! if your able to create a full wall between the back of the cone and the front of the speaker, 6.5" speakers can get down to 25hz clean. With the way that the cone loads in the back all the way through behind the seat, it essentially makes a huge, clean resonance chamber.

jplacson
02-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Wow!!! What 6.5" speakers are those? I haven't come across any with an FR of below 50Hz.

Arxon
02-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks to everybody! I think I 'm going to use the original cases ans maybe later to put a sub in the trunk.