PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked sway bar bushing?

Dave535Phoenix
02-19-2005, 11:08 PM
A few weeks ago my car broke rocker arms and was towed back to my house. I got the head repaired and put it back together. Since then it's been very un-BMW at freeway speeds over bumps.

It's okay over small ones, but over larger bumps, or a series of smaller bumps, the car gets quite unsettled. The steering wheel oscillates little and the car doesn't feel like it's enjoying itself a bit.

Around town it isn't that noticable, but as speeds increase the problem gets worse. I had it out today for a fairly long drive and noticed a minor but constant vibration at about 60mph.

I though it may be a tire out of balance, so had them rotated and balanced, No help.

When looking under the car I noticed a sway bar bushing that didn't look quite right - bushingt.jpg. The one from the other side looked okay, bushingg.jpb (t-tweaked, g-good)

Tires are getting old; about 25k on 'em with the wear bars getting close to the treadline, but not there yet. I think they've got 5k-10k left.

I never noticed any of this before the car was towed. I can't see how head work would affect this in any way whatsoever.

I've seen a lot about using 7-series bushings..is this a symptom of why people do that?

TIA

Dave