PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems and running cold

Trevor
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi guys.
Now that the tyres are sorted, Sally and decided to start coughing and spluttering every morning.
The temp gauge takes a lot longer to reach running temp, and during this there is serious hesitation under acceleration.
Once warmed up she runs fine.

Have replaced plugs, oil and filters (oil and air) less than 1000 km ago and had been running fine. The car is generally parked outside, but the times when I do get the garage overnight she seems to run smoother.

It's the end of summer in Sydney so temps in the morning are warm but sometimes humid.

Before I start replacing everything, I was hoping that someone else out there may have had a similar problem and could give me some ideas.

My thoughts on potential contributors:
Points - looking to clean/replace.
Injectors - have been using injector cleaner. Will try an Italian tune up next week.
Fuel system vapour lock - where do I start?
Cooling system - Not losing any coolant.

Any other thoughts and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.

willobmw
02-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Points. They let guys you guys drive modern day 2800s down under. :p Could be possible. How is the timing? Idle speed? Cool running until warm. Does it run normal temps once warm?
Sorry I can't be of more help. LOL.
Willo

Trevor
02-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks Willow.
I'll check the point.
Noticed this morning that the temp never got out of cold range. Will check thermostat also.

Paul in NZ
02-21-2005, 03:50 AM
thermostat would be my guess trevor,the dme and temp gauge have seperate sensors so unless they both have gone on the blink simutaneously idont think they are to blame