PDA

View Full Version : new to the forums and bmw owner

spoolinturbo
02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
whats going on?
Well im new the BMW owners group I guess. And I love the car. Its going to be a project most definitly. It is nice for its year and mileage. It is a 1989 535i black on black, auto. Came with all the bells and whistles. However I can still not figure out how to adjust the steering wheel...if thats possible. I know on the the latter ones they were all telescoping all stuff.
it has its minor exterior blemishes and I need a door molding and the small molding for the fender.
The interior is pretty much mint. Except the radio was blown and all the speakers so i replaced all except the rears...money was tight haha. and it had to be all hardwired because the previous owner jacked it up. And the heater does not work...i froze to death my whole way to tampa...the console...computer thing, it will cut out if i hit the defrost button, and the radio as well...not sure what that is yet. But i plan on getting the triple chrome plated 18s from the latter bimmers, and i am going to repaint it...looking for some kind of exterior upgrades, nothing crazy...something stylish. So ill be on the site for a while, doing searches, learning what I can, and helping others...hope to fit in nicely. =)
and is there anyother owners in panama city fl?
jeff

PS i am a mitsubishi starion fanatic

spoolinturbo
02-19-2005, 08:58 AM
i have been unable to locate an stickys with info on suspension upgrades..or anything such as bodykits, eliptic lights...vendors and what not...

Kalevera
02-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Jeff - congrats! It's a fine car, no doubt. But, if it's been abused or neglected, expect to throw a lot of money at it (have a look at the recent days' posts for one by me about the "sachs kit" - it's a fine choice for a good street lowering suspension at $650 delivered).

Two things I would most definitely recommend: 1) Get a Bentley manual for the E34. Costs $50+, but it will save your bacon. I read mine all the time. 2) Get to know the fine folks at BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com) -- I deal exclusively with Patrick and pretty much everyone on this board uses them for a good reason: they're the cheapest and most knowledgable on OEM parts with the best service.

Your heater problem could be the heater valve. Check http://www.bmwe34.net for a detailed report, or Johan & Sean's e32 page (which has exccellent and relevant info for our e34's -- not to mention that they're great guys): http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/

Talk to Javier if you have any questions on the electrics.

Wheel sizing is a matter of opinion, I think. Some say a set of 18's is too big and you'll get a rough(er) ride and tramlining to boot. I haven't got much experience in the area, although I just bought a set of 17's for my car; we'll see how they go on later this week with the new suspension.

best, whit

spoolinturbo
02-19-2005, 08:32 PM
thankyou for the loads of information!
I do plan on being around for a while, completely redoing the vehicle. Today was a tackle with the power seat. Something was jacked up with the cable system on one side of the recliner...wasnt too bad.
I will definitly start researching the information you just gave me!
18s may too big not too sure. Ill lower it first and do some bushing upgrades if i can, and go from there...talk to you later!