PDA

View Full Version : Im in a little bit of a bind. Seems there is no coolant

Jason
02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
in my car at the moment, it appears to have leaked out though i havent pinpointed from where yet. Is it ok to use another brand or do I have to use the BMW coolant.

Dick Schneiders
02-18-2005, 01:21 PM
use the Dexcool coolant ever in your BMW. I think that stuff is always orange in color. You should try to find coolant that is approved for alumimum radiators, which means phosphate free. I wouldn't put the generic green stuff in my BMW's, but you would probably be fine in the short term using it.

Dick Schneiders

in my car at the moment, it appears to have leaked out though i havent pinpointed from where yet. Is it ok to use another brand or do I have to use the BMW coolant.

Hallmark
02-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Just don't let it sit too long in sub-freezing temps.

John B.
02-18-2005, 01:29 PM
The Zerex G-05 is pretty much identical to the BMW blue only a different color & price. Autozone carrys it around here.

Bill R.
02-18-2005, 01:35 PM
type of antifreeze they say, is now green again instead of orange like the earler prestone extended life was... Real dexcool is still orange though...but the prestone was sold as dexcool compatible. I use the blue stuff in my own cars just because i prefer to stick with what the manufacturer specifies but for the short term i wouldn't hesitate to use prestones new one. I use that in most customers cars who don't have a preference.

use the Dexcool coolant ever in your BMW. I think that stuff is always orange in color. You should try to find coolant that is approved for alumimum radiators, which means phosphate free. I wouldn't put the generic green stuff in my BMW's, but you would probably be fine in the short term using it.

Dick Schneiders

Jason
02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
actually a little closer than the nearest autozone. I checked out some of the old posts to see what they said. But i was pressed for time and so I headed to the dealer cause it was the safest bet. It seems to be leaking from somewhere under the reservoir. I cant pinpoint it. My car isnt doing well right now, its been stalling and it doesnt start right up afterwards and the idle has been inconsistent either settling as low as 500 or as high as 1200. Any one have a simple answer for me? my fingers are crossed.

thanks
J

TheDuke
02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Check the hose that goes over the reservoir, if I remember correctly, anyways check the ring around it. If necessary tighten it or put another one next to it. Had same problem last month, all coolant leaked out overnight.

Badkrma
02-18-2005, 07:25 PM
check all of your hose clamps, but make sure thta they you do not over tighten. might try to wiggle them first to see if the plastic collars are broken. I would say, put water in and turn on the car, once it gets to pressure your will know right where it is leaking.

Kalevera
02-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Jason - having just rebuilt my '90 535i's cooling system and agonizing over the associated problems of doing so: 1) is ALL of the coolant gone, or just in the expansion tank/upper part of the system? In my case, I had a bad expansion tank hose (runs from exp tank to heater core and thermostat housing via the underside of the intake) that was leaking all over the place as well as a VERY non-visible leak courtesy of my aux water pump. The latter was only visible with a mirror or taking a hard look by the brake vacuum boost unit (it's hard to see down there). 2) what's your heater core doing? radiator?

Hopefully it's something simple like a loose radiator or engine block drain plug (ha ha). But I suspect, especially if you're in part of the country that gets cold at this time of year, one of the famous plastic parts has developed a weeping crack.

best, whit

ve39
02-19-2005, 03:40 AM
i just put water in