PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor simulator

grave77
02-17-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi guys ... will check this out and comment?! http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/o2sensor/o2sim/o2sim.html

cheers

Derek A.
02-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Seems kind of pointless. Why not maintain all the correct sensor levels and then adjust engine management as needed?

grave77
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
don't u think this can work fine for cars in hot areas that the O2 sensor will not work perfictly?

Derek A.
02-18-2005, 02:38 PM
the o2 sensor operates in the exhaust system. How can it have a problem with heat ?

winfred
02-18-2005, 09:37 PM
id guess to fool the computer if you need to remove the post cat 02 sensor on a obdII car, or remove the cat and not have a bad cat code. hey it could be used so you can use a aftermarket cat and not get a bad cat code after a year or so on a obdII car

Seems kind of pointless. Why not maintain all the correct sensor levels and then adjust engine management as needed?

grave77
02-19-2005, 02:04 PM
well, when it's hot the air mass will become lower so the O2 sensor modifies the mixture to accommodate the difference, but it wasn't designed to accommodate 110F weather with high rates of humidity, even if u have a cold intake it will still be hot. I had to unplug the O2 sensor in summer time. with this simulator I can adjust the signal to get the best performance as if I put a modified O2 sensor. this is my expectations I still don't know how exactly it will affect the DME, many professional guys in Bimmer told me that I have to accept the low performance when it's summer time. but maybe such stuff can make it better.

grave77
02-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Well for me I have the catalytic converter chopped off; we don’t have very strict regulations about that in our place. The idea here is to make the engine accommodate to 110 F of heat I don't know if u can imagine how u really feel the power loss in such weather!! The engine hesitates allot more than normal weather conditions. This simulator might do something to find some sort of a basic solution. I have better performance when I unplug this sensor especially at summer. Any ideas about that?

Derek A.
02-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Cars do not make power in warmer weather. Its simply due to the fact that the air is less dense when its warm with high humidity. Changing the dynamic input of the o2 sensor to a static level is not going to help you out. Unless you get into a forced air induction situation there is not a whole lot elese you can do.

grave77
02-20-2005, 02:26 AM
that's exactly what I said about the hot air due to hot weather, but the simulator can be setup with a knob so it wont be static too. the setting will be a try and error thing until u gain experience. or draw a scale on the knob. forcing air into the engine like turbo supercharging will do for sure and add allot of power, but I will suffer from engine overheating in the summer or I will be in need to cool up the engine oil too.

MarkD
02-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Well for me I have the catalytic converter chopped off; we don’t have very strict regulations about that in our place. The idea here is to make the engine accommodate to 110 F of heat I don't know if u can imagine how u really feel the power loss in such weather!! The engine hesitates allot more than normal weather conditions. This simulator might do something to find some sort of a basic solution. I have better performance when I unplug this sensor especially at summer. Any ideas about that?

The O2 sensor simulator is used to trick the DME into thinking that you have a working post-cat O2 sensor on your car. (on OBD-II cars with cats removed). The reason it is adjustable is because the DME wants to see a certain difference in signal between the pre and post cat signals, to ensure that the catalytic convertor is actually working.

How old is your current 02 sensor? If it is old, it's output will be low (or too slow to respond) and both these cases will cause the motor to run richer than required, and you will lose power. That is why the car runs better when you disconnect the O2 sensor. (the hot air and humidity mean there is less O2 available in a specific volume of air, and disconnecting the sensor is probably leaning out the fuel slightly, especially if your sensor is bad)

The reason that motors lose power at high ambient temperatures is that the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor indicates to the DME that the timing must be retarded. There is a curve in the DME that specifies how much ignition retard to add to the base timing, dependant on the temperature.
This must be done or pinging can occur. If your car had a knock sensor (which it does not) it would be possible to operate closer to the threshold of knock.

Summary:
- Replace your O2 sensor if you have more than 30K miles on it.
(some may last longer)

- Don't waste your money and time on an O2 sensor simulator as that will not fix your low power at high temp. issue.

If you really were going to kludge this, you would want to hack into the IAT temp sensor and adjust that. But, I don't recommend thatat all.

Here is one solution that would work for you:

1) Buy a chip from me. I'll reduce the timing to compensate for your hot climate.

2) Buy and install a Safeguard knock control unit, which will detect knock and retard the timing when it is detected.
You need the one channel unit: http://www.jandssafeguard.com/index.html
Note: I am working on a prototype knock retard system using a high speed DSP which may be on the market this fall)

You need to execute both steps above, not just step 1.

MarkD

grave77
02-20-2005, 03:40 PM
<Safeguard knock control unit>, is this something very close to the electronic ignition with a monostable multivibrator driver? that increases the current stored in the coil? or it has this feature and a delay too to changing the time of discharge? I'm dreaming of buying a chip from you, but I have no paypal coverage. last time I contacted u was when u made the offer on new year 2005.
can u provide me with the right resistance reading of the OEM tempreture sensor, air sensor in AFM and spark plug wires? I will need the values so I can know what I have to replace with the O2 sensor. by the way ... I added a 100 Ohms in series with the temprature sensor and my engine emmitted more raw gas. so I think I have alot of things to change.
I already e-mailed u the DME# plz e-mail me if u need any more information.

MarkD
02-20-2005, 03:59 PM
<Safeguard knock control unit>, is this something very close to the electronic ignition with a monostable multivibrator driver? that increases the current stored in the coil? or it has this feature and a delay too to changing the time of discharge? I'm dreaming of buying a chip from you, but I have no paypal coverage. last time I contacted u was when u made the offer on new year 2005.
can u provide me with the right resistance reading of the OEM tempreture sensor, air sensor in AFM and spark plug wires? I will need the values so I can know what I have to replace with the O2 sensor. by the way ... I added a 100 Ohms in series with the temprature sensor and my engine emmitted more raw gas. so I think I have alot of things to change.
I already e-mailed u the DME# plz e-mail me if u need any more information.

I don't have the resistance values handy, but someone with a repair manual should be able to help. DO NOT play with the IAT sensor resistance, especially without a knock retard system on the motor.

A Safeguard system does not do what you mention, it detects knock and retards timing if it sees knock. Hint: more info on Safeguard website.

You can not use the readings you asked for to determine if the O2 sensor needs replacement. How many miles since you replaced it last? If more than 50K, replace it for sure.

MarkD

grave77
02-20-2005, 04:09 PM
I will replace it for sure, the reading I need are to know if my other sensors are fine or require replacing. I think I need to replace the AFM too cuz the resistance line is warn out and making allot of noise while sliding I made bent the slider to read a new track on the strip as one of the guys on the net did. its better now but it needs replacement anyway. my car has done 150K now ... its triple the distance ... so I'm not going to question u about O2 sensor now. you have the final word in this case man :)
Plz e-mail me about the best method to get the chip from u. me and my car will be honored to have ur chip on.

TC535i
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
My buddy has one of those... but he has a track pipe (cat delete) on an OBD-II car.