PDA

View Full Version : Need basic info on '93 525i

Lilrobus
02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey forumers,

I just purchased a '93 525i (cause it's the car ive always wanted and now I have it :) I took it to an unbiased mechanic, who told me it was well-maintained and a "good buy." (99,000mi) Unfortunately, it did not come with an owner's manual. What exactly is the toggle next to the automatic transmission shifter (Auto/Manual?) Also, when the engine idles, ie at a stoplight, the RPM changes slightly, causing the car to shake very slightly. Doesn't seem abnormal, but again, why? Finally, on the dash computer, upon startup, there is a series of green LED bars, followed by an orange and a red one (all the greens show up). What does this indicate? Love the car, and would appreciate some feedback!

shogun
02-16-2005, 09:39 PM
click (http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/)

The green, red, orange lights are for the service and oil intervals. See owners manual.

also see this thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9732&highlight=owners+manual)

As for the idle problem, you might need to clean the idle control valve. Use the search on top and type in idle control valve etc. and you will find a lot of information, pics and other things.
Also have a look at my website. Although it is mainly for E32, it also fits for the E34, as they have many things in common and parts are interchangeable.

Kalevera
02-16-2005, 10:54 PM
There's a VERY recent post (last day?) on the A/M switch. Have a look or do a search. If you can't find it -- whatever you do, *don't* start the car in MD (manual DRIVE). It locks the car in 3rd and will quickly destroy the transmission.

I know the feeling on owning the car :) GREAT movie, by the way...

Be sure to buy a bentley manual.

On the idling: check to see if you have any error codes stored in the DME. Could be Vanos/knock sensor related, but I don't know anything about that. I would check the motor and tranny mounts, as well as the driveshaft support bearing...just to rule those out first.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-16-2005, 11:03 PM
hey whit- dosnt the transmission reset itself whenever the car is turned off? I didnt think it was possible to start the car in M-D.

shogun
02-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Mine always goes back to E=economy as default position whenever I restart the car.
Sometimes I wish it would stay in S= sports.

Kalevera
02-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Josh - Yeah, I didn't make my language clear :(

The thing resets itself to E when started. I meant: don't start from a standstill in MD. According to my BMW guru, Brett Anderson, it's an incredibly stupid idea. But, it's a lot more fun to just put it in sport mode :)

BTW - half done with the sachs install. Did the rears last night and they feel alright, but the fronts are still not done :( I've got some pics, but you should check out Gale's page on the rears - he's got a great procedure.

Also, I didn't use the lower rubber pads on my rears (instructions say not to for the e34). Haven't figured out if that's a bad thing or what yet, though, because I've subsequently got an occasional clunk coming from somewhere in the suspension. It could just be the dead shocks in the front. Hopefully I'll get it all together tomorrow and have the install doc done a few days thereafter...

best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Oh. I get it now. Maybe thats why my transmission decided to poop on me. I actually did that a couple times on accident (Forgeting about being in M mode while parking).

OT: So, should I order 4 new spring pads? I MAY be doing it this sat..(if i get my car back from the shop) So i would need to order it tommorow to have it in time. Another thing- did you re-use the "spring pan" #4 in the instructions for the fronts?

I think this is the last thing. I noticed on the sachs kit package that it said e34 525i..etc. and under it it said 88-08.92 ....Is that in referance to the production date? My car is o5/95, so I am wondering if the kit the sent me will fit? I better call them. i believe the p/n on this is 841500118069 or 118-069 per the order sheet. And if they did mix up my year. I'm sure all the other parts (control arms etc) would be the same throughout the year...right?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Kalevera
02-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I've been staying away from M altogether since my trans started pendulum shifting. Hopefully it'll get fixed when I get back to Cleveland at the end of the month.

Haven't done the fronts yet, but if the black rubber piece = "spring pan", then that's what I'll be reusing :). That, and the strut mounts...that'll be it for me. We'll see how it goes. I've been PB blasting the collar nuts for a few days now, so hopefully it'll come apart with no problems.

That's weird about the prod dates. Mine says the same thing. I'd call them to confirm you got a kit that will fit. I'm pretty sure it will, as it came with the 22mm front sleeves, right? Aren't you doing the other suspension components as well?! Could turn out to be a LONG day, my friend :) It took me about three fridays to get the car back together when I pulled off all the old suspension and steering components last time. Hopefully everything comes together alright. Make sure you've got a pickle fork and a spring compressor :)

best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-17-2005, 12:26 AM
whit- we'll take this to PM. Thread jacking too much. haha.

liquidtiger720
02-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Also, I didn't use the lower rubber pads on my rears (instructions say not to for the e34). Haven't figured out if that's a bad thing or what yet, though, because I've subsequently got an occasional clunk coming from somewhere in the suspension. It could just be the dead shocks in the front. Hopefully I'll get it all together tomorrow and have the install doc done a few days thereafter...

best, whit

wait, say that again?

dont use any rear lower spring pads?