PDA

View Full Version : Vanos Kit

jj7
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Today i was discussing with my mechanic about testing the engine timing,he said the reading can be done with the modic3 and compare it with the BMW specs.
That said,he added that all the vanos equiped engines gone through UPGRADING or UPDATING not too sure what he meant,but the bottom line is that he said there is a kit for the vanos BMW made modifications to, and if the original factory vanos is in the car,it should be replaced by this kit....
Has anyone heared of this KIT,or done this type of installation?

TIA

jj

bimmerd00d
02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
My vanos kit consisted of Mobil1 15w50. I dont hear it anymore :D

Gooch
02-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I looked into this a few months ago. But am waiting for spring to do the upgrade. Its 4 small parts such as spacers and screws for the upper timing chain assembly. I believe M50TUs from 3/95 onward had the conversion. I have a 9/94 build but want to pull the valve cover and check before I buy the parts. I'll follow up with the pn's. They're on my other PC.

DO NOT buy the parts from a dealer. They're 2X the BMA price.

jj7
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I looked into this a few months ago. But am waiting for spring to do the upgrade. Its 4 small parts such as spacers and screws for the upper timing chain assembly. I believe M50TUs from 3/95 onward had the conversion. I have a 9/94 build but want to pull the valve cover and check before I buy the parts. I'll follow up with the pn's. They're on my other PC.

appreciate the advice,the mechanic mentioned this fix two times now,since my car got an advanced timing issue..with no fault codes stored its like a dilema that has no end,going back to basics,i told the mechanic before any upgrade i need to make sure the engine timing is correct,then worry about the rest..
keep me posted will you.. :)
thnx

jj

Gooch
02-17-2005, 08:58 AM
x

Russell
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I wonder how difficult it is to do the upgrade? Or even if my car needs it.

Thanks,

Gooch
02-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Its a word doc.

Russell
02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Plan1@insightbb.com

Thanks