PDA

View Full Version : Road trip in the 525i this wknd/next week...

billb
02-16-2005, 07:57 AM
So the boss is sending me to Atlanta for a week of machine guarding training at Georgia Tech. We have friends in Asheville who want us to come visit. So, the shortest distance between two points involves going all the way from Raleigh to Asheville then to Atlanta, right? ;)

We head out Saturday morning for Asheville (more specifically Hendersonville), then leave Sunday for Atlanta. Taking the wife and son for a week away from the day-to-day at home, to explore Atlanta a bit.

First, any suggestions of shops/independents along the way? I'm covered locally, and have a towing reimbursement in my policy, should anything happen, and we have AAA (mind you the 525 has 124k on the auto tranny).

Second, suggestions for good places to eat, things to see, while in Atlanta? We'll be staying right near GT, and have $180 worth of gift certificates to use up at ESPN Zone, and plan on hitting the Varsity and Three Dollar Cafe, but I'm open for other ideas!

And if you see us on the highway, give us a wave!

Jr ///M5
02-16-2005, 05:44 PM
If you plan to drive around town, get ready, cause every other street is called "Peachtree"....=) We used to live there, I loved it, fast paced young city with everything to offer. Opportunities abound. There are a number of good restaurants, but you should probably check out the top of the Peachtree Plaza, a restaurant that revolves slowly around on the top of the tower. If I remember right it's 75 stories high. Another option for dining is, Pitty Pat's Porch...doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside is from the deep south, with a 2nd level porch that wraps around the restaurant dining area, in both cases get prepared to spend some cash, but one "very nice" dinner is worth it. Stay away from the Cheeta Club....=) Things to see in Atlanta....Stone Mountain, Cyclorama, and Underground Atlanta, and a ton of other attractions. The Varsity is great fun, you won't believe the onion rings!

Get ready for your best defensive driving, drive like you stole it or you will be trampled in the rush. Georgia Tech is awesome and not far from the Varsity or the downtown area. Be prepared to be amazed by some of the best looking women you have ever laid eyes on....=) I never figured out how they could put on make-up doing 90mph on a 6 lane highway down I-85.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the southern hospitality that "Hotlanta" has to offer.

Enjoy,
Jr

Rory
02-16-2005, 05:54 PM
So the boss is sending me to Atlanta for a week of machine guarding training at Georgia Tech. We have friends in Asheville who want us to come visit. So, the shortest distance between two points involves going all the way from Raleigh to Asheville then to Atlanta, right? ;)

We head out Saturday morning for Asheville (more specifically Hendersonville), then leave Sunday for Atlanta. Taking the wife and son for a week away from the day-to-day at home, to explore Atlanta a bit.

First, any suggestions of shops/independents along the way? I'm covered locally, and have a towing reimbursement in my policy, should anything happen, and we have AAA (mind you the 525 has 124k on the auto tranny).

Second, suggestions for good places to eat, things to see, while in Atlanta? We'll be staying right near GT, and have $180 worth of gift certificates to use up at ESPN Zone, and plan on hitting the Varsity and Three Dollar Cafe, but I'm open for other ideas!

And if you see us on the highway, give us a wave!
Bill,

If you run into problems in ATL I can recommend a couple shops or some folks that can offer a helping hand. What kind of food do you like and as far as entertainment, what do you like to do? Shoot me a PM or e-mail and I can offer plenty to do and great places to eat. GT is where I did my undergrad and I will most likely end up back there after my next graduation. Take Care.

Best,
Rory