PDA

View Full Version : idle speed 87 535i (sorry its an older car)

drew3311
02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
hey, im a teen driver, and after eight years of taking care of my moms beautiful bmw she gave it to me last christmass (after getting into a small accident, and deciding to get rid of it)

it is to expensive to have taken into a shop, but if thats what must be done i will do it.

my father (a know it all) advised me to adjust my valve timing (i believe) it required my taking off the manifold, and spacing the valves, cracking the engine over, and doing the next set of valves, and so on and so forth. He claimed this would quiet my engine. it worked fine, but about a week later my engine started to idle at around 1200- 1500 rpm, allmost double what it normally does.

i also have a good sized (like any selfrespecting teenager should have) speaker system in the back, and my dads O2 sensor just started to die (the cars are 2 years apart, his being an 87 535is, but they tend to be driven equally, and both experiance the same problems around the same time) having the speaker system, ive heard of alternators dieing, and i wounder if this could cause the engine to over idle (sometimes at night when i turn my lights off the engine will go back to 700 rpm idle, as mysteriously as why it goes up to 1500) which leads me to think electrical.

yes, i believe those are all the symptoms, oh

when it starts, it usually happens after i take my engine to around 4thousand (redlines at 6.5) rpm, and it will continue doing it (in my eyes) untill it thinks it has just driven me crazy enough to have redeemed my lower rpm driving for a long time.

i will accelorate, and feel a little give, allmost like a stall, at around 4k rpm, and then i will push in the clutch, and it will be doing it again.

if you need any more info, i will be glad to give it, my email is drewjustforyou@hotmail.com

any help is appreciated, i will be eternally in your debt if you can help me keep my sanity.

-drew

632 Regal
02-15-2005, 08:57 PM
first thing you should do is make sure you adjusted the valves correctly! If donr improper can lead to all kinds of strange behaviors including an idle issue.

Thats where I would start, maybe the engines computer is trying to compensate for an engine that is not running correctly.

dont disconnect that boom in the back just yet! :D

bimmerd00d
02-15-2005, 09:00 PM
could be the Idle Control Valve