PDA

View Full Version : BMW 535 i 92 Automatic Trans Problem Help!!!

Alex1059
02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Hello everyone!!
My car a 535i 92 with 207,000 miles, was shifting perfect until last friday I was comming back home from work 80mph and sudenly lost all transmision, no forward or reverse, car starts perfect but I have no gears and when you shut down makes a funny noise it also has a atf smell but I do not see any major lost of atf fluid. Fluid and filter was changed about 3000 miles and again no signs of sliping, I do not want to be raped at transmission shop...need help to diagnose problem...I'm in Miami Florida...Thanks

gale
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
At 207,000 miles, I'd say you're in for a complete rebuild. It was probably the fluid change 3000 miles ago that did in the clutch packs, they don't take kindly to fresh fluid if they've gone that long without a change. You could do a bandaid patch & replace the front A-pack and pump but the rest of the trans is going to need attention soon. Time to contact Kirt Koeller. Actually, one of the best deals for a rebuilt trans is thru the dealer, labor isn't that difficult if you do it yourself. An indie might charge $500 to swap trannies. Might as well pony up the bucks for a new or rebuilt torque converter since if the trans is making noise like you say, there could be lots of debris in the old torque converter & you don't want that migrating into a fresh trans.

On the bright side, this would be a good time to convert it to a 5-spd :D

Kalevera
02-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd do what Gale says if you have the time.

It sounds like you blew the Forward A clutchpack. Do a search on it and read more than you ever wanted to know. I think Winfred has done about 15 of those thusfar; it happens all the time.

Don't rev the thing in park or neutral :)

good luck!

best, whit