PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know the differences...

bjl4776
02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Does anybody know the differences between an M50 and an S50. Is the same block used, just bored and or stroked out to a different spec. How different is the heads on it. Does anybody have a picture showing the two heads side by side. I have a spare M50 and time, and was wondering if it was feasable at all to try and rebuild and get close to 300hp that the euro 3.2l gets. I would probably try to up the compression to 12:1 or so so it would be a race engine only. Just trying to see if it would work, I wouldn't be able to do it for awhile, but boy would it be cool to get 350hp n/a out of an M50 even though it would take alot of money. Is it even feasible to think that 350-400hp n/a would be possible?

Brandon J
02-14-2005, 09:05 PM
If you are talking about the M50 and not the M50tu, then there are many differences, but the block is the same. Some of the differences from the M50 and M50tu are that the M50 has heavier valve springs, thicker valve stems, heavier pistons, no vanos, etc.

The M50tu has many many similarities with the S50. They have the same block, head, conrods, valves, same throttle body and intake, same fuel injection, same wiring and computer model, they both have vanos, and all outter engine hardware is the same. The differences are that the S50 has a bored block, stroked crank, different cams, dual valve springs, larger diameter pistons (but the design is the same), larger diameter flywheel, and a different chip.