PDA

View Full Version : E34 Idle problem need help!!!!!

daniel092284
02-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a 94 530i i have an idle problem with it, I start the car but then it dies out right after, I beleive it is putting too much fuel in at idle, when I give it gas the car runs very smooth, no check engine light on, after starting a couple times the car will not start at all, have to leave it along for a few days then it starts agian....please help

shogun
02-15-2005, 02:46 AM
You believe that it is putting too much fuel in? Better check it.
When it does not start, remove the plugs and see how they look.
But there can be many other reasons which you have to check step by step.

Air intake leak:
A leak in the intake or vacuum leaks (check the dipsick o-ring seal and oil filter seal) will make your car idle roughly.
Especially when the engine is cold, intake leaks show up easier then when engine is warm.
Use for example brake cleaner and spray around the area of the intakes. When there is a change in running, go for that area and check careful.

Valve setting:
If you didn't adjust your valve lately, check your valve adjustments.

Spark plugs:
Old spark plugs will make your car idle and run rough.

Distributor cap and rotor:
After a lot of miles your rotor and cap will be sad looking or cracked, check for yourself. Remember when you have replaced them last time?

Ignition wires:
Check the ignition wire resistance with a multi-meter, it should be around 0 Ohm.

Idle Control Valve (ICV):
This expensive part gets dirty. You should clean it (along with the throttle body) each time you adjust your valves with carburator cleaner. If there is no improvement and your ICV had never been changed (there is sometimes a year stamped onto the casting), change it.

Other considerations are: leaking injector, faulty temperature sensor, faulty oxygen sensor, check all electrical connections.

So if the car starts very difficult after long time the engine is off, it might be also leaking injection valves.