PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in park... Can't remove key!

byurko
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
After detailing my 540 and cleaning the interior yesterday, I went to move it - I turned the key and started it but could not shift out of park! Then... I turned it off and now I can't get the key out of the ignition.

Could it be the brake light switch? The brakes work and the lights come on!

I disconnected the battery and reconnected - no fix!
I checked all the fuses - all fine!

Any help is appreciated!

Bryan

shogun
02-14-2005, 11:31 AM
on the handle item no. 10?
If not, the pull rod no. 11 might be broken. There is a screw in front of the selector lever handle (no. 12). Unscrew this, and then you can pull out the handle with the pull rod.
That happens very rarely, just if someone is pushing the handle very strong w/o pulling the trigger when switching to reverse or similar.
see here the details. (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&prod=19940900&btnr=25_0059&hg=25&fg=15)

The key should go out. Try is smoothly and push it correctly till the end into the key hole.

byurko
02-14-2005, 11:51 AM
I checked that last night... Everything seems to work fine. The bottom of 11 doesn't connect to anything... Right?

Also, I'm still waiting for my BMW dealer to call me back - I guess Mondays are the busiest!

on the handle item no. 10?
If not, the pull rod no. 11 might be broken. There is a screw in front of the selector lever handle (no. 12). Unscrew this, and then you can pull out the handle with the pull rod.
That happens very rarely, just if someone is pushing the handle very strong w/o pulling the trigger when switching to reverse or similar.
see here the details. (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&prod=19940900&btnr=25_0059&hg=25&fg=15)

The key should go out. Try is smoothly and push it correctly till the end into the key hole.

billb
02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
I checked that last night... Everything seems to work fine. The bottom of 11 doesn't connect to anything... Right?

Also, I'm still waiting for my BMW dealer to call me back - I guess Mondays are the busiest!

It should be free to move up and down as the trigger is squeezed. When this item wore our on my '95 525i, the lever would not keep you from going from P to R without squeezing the trigger. This sounds different.

byurko
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Of course Leith BMW wants me to tow into them... Don't really want to do that yet! Any other suggestions?

It should be free to move up and down as the trigger is squeezed. When this item wore our on my '95 525i, the lever would not keep you from going from P to R without squeezing the trigger. This sounds different.

billb
02-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Of course Leith BMW wants me to tow into them... Don't really want to do that yet! Any other suggestions?

Perhaps the parking pin is stuck? If on flat ground, no clue...

Here's a repair manual screenshot for replacing the lockpin, if that's what it is. Involves dropping the pan, looks pretty involved. Could the shift selector cable be loose?

byurko
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks Bill! That could be my problem... I'm parked on a flat spot, but I rotated my tires yesterday. I wonder if that is the cause.

Will also check the shift cable tonight - looks like I'll have a few beers into this one!!!

Bryan

Perhaps the parking pin is stuck? If on flat ground, no clue...

Here's a repair manual screenshot for replacing the lockpin, if that's what it is. Involves dropping the pan, looks pretty involved. Could the shift selector cable be loose?

Bob in San Jose
02-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Can you turn the key in the ignition and start the engine?
On my 95 540 there is a cable that goes from the ignition switch to the shifter. This locks out the ignition switch from going to the off position until the shifter is in the park position. Therefore preventing you from removing the key. There is also a solenoid that locks the shifter in the park position if you do not apply the brakes. Is it possible you knocked a cable loose when you were cleaning? These cables, electrical to the solenoid and mechanical to the shifter, are located under the shifter console. I would think you would have had to take that apart to disturb them. The solenoid is item 5 in the above diagram and the cable is item 7.
HTH
Bob

byurko
02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks Bob! I'll check there... BTW, I can start the car - but cannot remove the key after turning it off. Also, the shifter is locked in P.

Bryan

Can you turn the key in the ignition and start the engine?
On my 95 540 there is a cable that goes from the ignition switch to the shifter. This locks out the ignition switch from going to the off position until the shifter is in the park position. Therefore preventing you from removing the key. There is also a solenoid that locks the shifter in the park position if you do not apply the brakes. Is it possible you knocked a cable loose when you were cleaning? These cables, electrical to the solenoid and mechanical to the shifter, are located under the shifter console. I would think you would have had to take that apart to disturb them. The solenoid is item 5 in the above diagram and the cable is item 7.
HTH
Bob

billb
02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
nt

byurko
02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I figured out my problem this weekend! I pulled up the console around the shifter and found the interlock cable that locks the shifter in park. I pried up the lock (where 7 connects to the shifter) and released the shifter. Now... everything works fine again. I'm not sure why it happened that one time though!!

Thanks for the help guys!

Bryan

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/129.png