PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump (I think) can you verify?

93 525 Paul
02-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Like a good newbie, I did a search on fuel pump and read all those threads. I think the fuel pump has gone out, but hate to shell out the $250 if I've overlooked something. (I'm tight!)
93 525 with 130k miles. The car cranked but didn't fire last night. It's my wife's car, but I thought I should be able to hear the fuel pump with the key on but not cranking. Silence. I went to the Bently and as written there, checked the main relay (all good). Did the jumper gig in the 30 to 87 slot of the fuel relay plugs and got silence at the tank and no fuel at the front of the fuel rail. Of course verified there is power to the pump at the plug.
Pulled the pump and for whatever reason did the jumper exercise one more time and the pump ran(?) Damn.
Put it back in and did the jumper and had fuel (lots and lots of it) at the front of the fuel rail. Hooked everything up and the car ran for a brief spell and crapped out. Did this thing just take a couple of last gasps?
Did replace the fuel filter a few years back, maybe at 100k. With the no fuel then lots of fuel, I wouldn't think it's the filter.
Thanks in advance...

Javier
02-14-2005, 06:11 AM
the same thing, the car leaved me out in a road once, though I was low in fuel, by the time I get some I started fine; at home garage once, reached the same conclusion similar solution; but the last time, it leaved me out in a turnpike with more than 3/4 of a tank, hook the car home and decided not to go out until solved. Took the fuel pump out of the tank and removed it from the plastic assembly, when to the jump start post, and start connecting to battery voltage and disconnecting it. Noticed not every time it started running, sometimes, having good 12 volts on its terminals, it didn't start, so decided to get a new one. It has been about 5 years since, no problems at all.

The pump will no run with key in run unless engine running, best check is to jump relay, as you did.

Conclusion, yes the fuel pumps some times say goodbye reluctantly.

Javier

ryan roopnarine
02-14-2005, 09:56 AM
if you are "tight", i'd say that you should buy/borrow/build a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure yourself. even if it comes up short only occasionally, you know its the pump's fault.

93 525 Paul
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the help. Damn pump just decided to reanimate before it died completely. Found that the filter sock had perforated and junk got into the pump and it either burned up or locked up. NG.
Also found that the original equip Bosch pump for the '93 525 was $250 at Bavarian, $260 locally and $160 at autohausaz.com. Holy crap!!! Hadn't heard of Autohaus Arizona until today and just about shat. How do they do that? Shopped around a bit and the savings vs Bavarian aren't uniform, but WOW. Thanks Paul G and Bimmer.info; I wish I had discovered you a hundred thousand miles ago!

'93 525 135k miles (217,700km club?)
'72 2002 144k miles (also?)

Jason
02-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Try BMA autoparts too they have good prices

93 525 Paul
02-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tip. Just for the record BMA has the fuel pump for $225 and Autohausaz.com beats everybody by a large margin. I was wrong above, they have it for $154. Wow.

wheelnxj
03-24-2005, 02:09 PM
at autohausaz.com you need to search by part number to find the cheapest version of the pump. if you have the straight fuel line fitting, not the elbow fittinig, the part number is 0580453021. still $154 as of 3/05