PDA

View Full Version : doing some steering work, just checking in before i buy.

RIPN RAY
02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
i'm trying to deal with a clunking noise from the front passenger wheel. when i had the tire off today i saw a lot of play between the center tie rod and the idler arm. so i figure that the car has about 253,000 miles so i should probably replace all the stuff that goes bad anyway (price depending).

at this moment it looks like i'll be buying the 2 outer tierods and the center tierod. both from www.germanautoparts.com which happens to be cheaper then BMA:

germanauto prices (http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/525%20Models/Steering/220/1)

BMA prices (http://www.bmaparts.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1FP17ACAA1G70QG5DR&drillid=8&subcatid=801035@@Steering%2C+Tie+Rods+%26+Ends+%26 +Related&clientid=bmaparts)

from the pic in the bentley it doesn't seem like the idler arm has a bushing, does this part go bad? should it be replaced?

now what about the Pitman arm?

also what about the fluid, would it be a good idea to change it?

is it poosible for these suspension parts to make a clunking noise while going over bump?....i really thought that it would be a ball joint but they seemed ok...hmm...maybe a strunt mount

also, i know about getting an alingment aswell :p

Thanks

EDIT: i confused myself :D

John B.
02-13-2005, 10:36 PM
A bad Thrust Arm ball joint will cause a clunking over bumps.

RIPN RAY
02-17-2005, 10:03 AM
bump

Kalevera
02-17-2005, 10:11 AM
depending on the type of clunk, could also be sway bar links.

The idler arm has a bushing in it. I couldn't figure out HOW it could go bad when I pulled mine out a few months back -- the bushing seems robust. I didn't touch the pitman arm, but replaced everything else: center link, tie rods, and idler arm.

However -- I'm currently a bit confused on how to test these components. Mine had visible play (could shake any part of the assembly), but I'm not sure how to test when the parts have less wear than mine did.

best, whit

ejhiggins
02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
clunking noise going over bumps could also be a loose strut housing collar nut or a broken strut mount