PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of the EAT chip!

liquidtiger720
02-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I just installed marks EAT chip in my 95 525i. I let the car warm up for about 1 min. prior to driving. I started off driving slow under 2k rpm around my neighborhood. As soon as the engine warmed up. I started driving a little more aggressive. First thing I noticed was smoother shifting? I dont know if that was an due to the chip, but all the shifts felt smoother than before. Idle is not as rough, and the power seems to be more consistent through the rpm's.

My only concern is pinging~
At my young age of 18, I have yet to actually hear a car "ping" thus not really know what it really is. Should the ping be high pitched/low pitched or what? Could somebody please try to describe what "ping" sound like and acts like.

Russell
02-12-2005, 04:29 PM
I have not noticed any pinging at any speed. You need to make sure you are using at least 91-octane fuel. May be critical. Next, run some quality fuel injector cleaner. I like Techron. There are other additives that can help. "Fuel Power" for example, is added to every tank and can help clean your engine. I have been told it can possibly lower octane requirements.

When was the car tuned last, plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc? Are there any vacuum leaks etc?

As for a pinging definition. I am sure others can do better. IMO, it is a light metallic tapping/rattling sound when accelerating under a light throttle/high load.

Good luck, The EAT chip is great, best improvement I have ever made to my car.

I just installed marks EAT chip in my 95 525i. I let the car warm up for about 1 min. prior to driving. I started off driving slow under 2k rpm around my neighborhood. As soon as the engine warmed up. I started driving a little more aggressive. First thing I noticed was smoother shifting? I dont know if that was an due to the chip, but all the shifts felt smoother than before. Idle is not as rough, and the power seems to be more consistent through the rpm's.

My only concern is pinging~
At my young age of 18, I have yet to actually hear a car "ping" thus not really know what it really is. Should the ping be high pitched/low pitched or what? Could somebody please try to describe what "ping" sound like and acts like.

liquidtiger720
02-12-2005, 05:11 PM
air filter, fuel filter, plugs are all have less than 10k miles on them. There is a small vaccum leak from the intake to the ICV, but I clamped it shut, and it hasnt been a problem (did that in the summer).

I am definetly using 91 octane, always have. I've already poured in about 4 bottles (each treats 20 gallons. Poured in when i had 1/4 tank left.) of techron fuel system cleaner before I installed the chip.

I think im just being paranoid and wishing I knew what "pinging" sounded like. My car sounds the same, but maybe a little louder.

Edit- I probly should have asked this even before I bought a chip, but are there any detrimental effects of installing a performance chip? (increased engine wear. etc).

BlackOnBlack
02-12-2005, 10:51 PM
What are EAT chips anyway?
What will they do for my 525im/142K miles?
How much do they cost and are they DIY?

liquidtiger720
02-13-2005, 02:10 AM
EAT chip = performance chip.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

cost 199 usd.

If i can do it myself, you can.

winfred
02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
pinging sounds sorta like rain on a tin roof and usually comes on during high load and is less prone during cool weather, a good chip is not going to hurt the motor and mark does extensive testing to produce a good product, unlike some of the cheepo ebay chips that some goober with access to a chip burner/program just cranks up the advance to insain degrees and calls it a performance chip

liquidtiger720
02-14-2005, 12:50 AM
I dont doubt the chip, i doubt my engine =).

anyways, i like the rain on a tin roof analogy.So it is pretty high pitched vs. low pitched yah? ~ thanks winfred.

MarkD
02-14-2005, 01:03 AM
I dont doubt the chip, i doubt my engine =).

anyways, i like the rain on a tin roof analogy.So it is pretty high pitched vs. low pitched yah? ~ thanks winfred.

Did you get my PM where I answered this also? I said it was similar to ball bearings rattling around in a can.

Mark

liquidtiger720
02-14-2005, 01:49 AM
oh yea. but im trying to narrow it down even more. I believe my vanos is making quite a bit of the noise. ~mark, do you think if i make a short clip of the engine, you'd be able to tell? haha, yes...i know, im just dont know jack about cars.