PDA

View Full Version : New boge front struts at 105,000 on 95 525i

Russell
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Had my indy put on new front stock Boge automatic struts and associated parts at 105,000. I had high hopes that the change would make the car ride a bit better. Prior to the new struts, It was rather harsh over hard edge bumps and seemed to roll a bit more in the corners than I like.

The result after only 80 miles or so is a bit mixed. The ride is little softer and smoother, but not by much. Handles the small and big bumps better. Does not jar as much. However, the ride is still firmer than I thought it would be with stock struts. On the plus side, it seems flatter in the corners and the steering seems more responsive. FYI, this is the first the struts have been replaced.

Keep in mind there are two issues still affecting ride/handling. One is self inflicted, the the other is wear related. I previously installed Bruno's strut bushing replacements which essentialy made the thrust arm bushings almost solid and IMO transmits some shock to the body. However, no shimmy at 55-60 mph. Secondly, the left thrust arm bushing has a bit of loosness at the ball joint. I will replace both sides with new lemforder parts with 750i bushings this spring. My ride should be a bit more factory like with hopefully no shimmy.

DanDombrowski
02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
.....and seems to roll a bit more in the corners than I like.

....On the plus side, it seems flatter in the corners....

How is that?

bimmerd00d
02-11-2005, 10:31 AM
rolls more than he likes, but is flatter than with bad shocks/struts. Meaning it didn't improve as much as he'd thought, that right Russell? Might consider a Sachs Sporting Kit from BMA if you wanna reduce the roll, it's not terribly expensive and i'm sure someone would buy your near new Boge's.

bimmerd00d
02-11-2005, 10:33 AM

How is that?

15.6? hmm, i must have something done to my 525 that i dont know about :D

Russell
02-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I cut and pasted text from a previous post. I meant to have stated that "prior" to the new struts, it rolled in the corner more than I liked. After the new struts, it corners much flatter. Is that better? :D

How is that?

Russell
02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I edited my post to make it clearer. Sorry about the confusion. No plans to put a Sachs kit on the car. I would have to pay labor all over again and do not want to lower the car. As this is my daily commute car, comfort is more important than ultimate handling.

Again, roll is mush less with new struts. As I said in the previous post, there are other suspension issues I need to address to restore ride.

Thanks for the comments.

rolls more than he likes, but is flatter than with bad shocks/struts. Meaning it didn't improve as much as he'd thought, that right Russell? Might consider a Sachs Sporting Kit from BMA if you wanna reduce the roll, it's not terribly expensive and i'm sure someone would buy your near new Boge's.