PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dumb-a$$ drivers on cellphones -- Arg!!!

gale
02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
So I'm driving home from work today in the Alfa Spider, taking back streets to avoid traffic & come to a 4-way stop in a sleepy residential area. Here comes some butthead in a Jeep, not even seeing me or his stop sign, with a cellphone glued to his ear. I could sense he wasn't going to stop so waited before pulling out & sure enough, he blows thru the stop as if it isn't there, coulda T-boned me. My car is bright red & I had the headlights on in the daytime to make sure I'm a bit extra visible -- nope, not good enough to make it into his conscious awareness. So, I lay on the horn & he gives me a "sorry" wave. Nope, not good enough, I stay on the horn & flip him the bird. Now he has a problem with me, does a U-turn, follows me to the next stop & honks his horn at me, makes a left & disappears. What kinda sh*t is that??? Road rage is rampant here so glad I didn't try to follow him & get his license number lest things escalate. Glad it wasn't in the summer when I'd be crossing the same intersection on my bicycle, but I feel just as vulnerable in the roadster after the wreck in my 7 last fall.

Sorry for the rant, had to vent!

MantecaBMW
02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
That in some parts of the country, you can still get your drivers license out of a Cracker Jack box.............

Robin-535im
02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Now he has a problem with me, does a U-turn, follows me to the next stop & honks his horn at me, makes a left & disappears.

That's how my '91 got totalled... some twit running a stop sign. Except this guy was a twit without a cell phone.

Patrick
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
No apologies necessary here Gale. The "it's all about me" attitude (cellphone optional) followed by an apologetic wave after a mistake bad enough that it could have cost you your life, or present quality thereof, is too common and not okay. The thing I'm surprised at is people think they're sooo good at multi-tasking (like they all missed their true life's calling as Navy fighter jocks or commercial pilots and instead they became soccer-moms or construction contractors or whatever) and as a generalization they SUCK at it so bad.

632 Regal
02-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Patrics right, it comes down to blind mans bluff in this case. He was pissed caise you made him acknowledge you and then followed you. I would have stopped and tried to stop him and exited my car and approached him.

Me being a HUGE 5'11" man at 180 lbs theres NO way someone can beat my .038 on my side. I can pull that MoFu and pop holes in less than 2 seconds if need be.

I try to usually be cival and dismiss retards on the road but at times when it comes to defending my life I can and will stick my big head where I should just stay placent.

pundit
02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
So I'm driving home from work today in the Alfa Spider, taking back streets to avoid traffic & come to a 4-way stop in a sleepy residential area. Here comes some butthead in a Jeep, not even seeing me or his stop sign, with a cellphone glued to his ear. I could sense he wasn't going to stop so waited before pulling out & sure enough, he blows thru the stop as if it isn't there, coulda T-boned me. My car is bright red & I had the headlights on in the daytime to make sure I'm a bit extra visible -- nope, not good enough to make it into his conscious awareness. So, I lay on the horn & he gives me a "sorry" wave. Nope, not good enough, I stay on the horn & flip him the bird. Now he has a problem with me, does a U-turn, follows me to the next stop & honks his horn at me, makes a left & disappears. What kinda sh*t is that??? Road rage is rampant here so glad I didn't try to follow him & get his license number lest things escalate. Glad it wasn't in the summer when I'd be crossing the same intersection on my bicycle, but I feel just as vulnerable in the roadster after the wreck in my 7 last fall.

Sorry for the rant, had to vent!
The biggest problem in Australia right now is teenage girls texting (SMS) whilst driving. This is worse than actually talking on the thing. Several people have been killed recently by texting bimbo's.

jplacson
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
No kidding!!! Same here in the Philippines! And it's not like their even cute enough to be excused!!! lol

Incantation
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
you should have smashed his face

ryan roopnarine
02-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Me being a HUGE 5'11" man at 180 lbs theres NO way someone can beat my .038 on my side. I can pull that MoFu and pop holes in less than 2 seconds if need be.

what's a .038? is that some kind of spark plug that you keep around to throw at somebody? :D if it is what i think it is......i kinda recall everybody i know that took a florida concealed weapons course talking about an NRA video that everyone saw....with the first "legally appropriate" step being to declare a line of demarcation (if you weren't free from being ambushed from behind) with some type of physical barrier (bed, kitchen island, doorframe) before you put it "into action". i guess i don't wanna piss you off.....

Hector
02-11-2005, 09:59 AM
kinda business in SoCal, then make sure you watch your butt because there are a lot of people like that out here but it's not everywhere. To survive, you need that keen sense of perceiving trouble which will bail you out time and again. You seem to have this. Although my kids are too young to be driving, I always tell them to expect the unexpected and to always anticipate trouble on the St. because there will always be that moron on a cell phone, or eating a Big Mac or some lady putting makeup on... it's like rat patrol...

bahnstormer
02-11-2005, 10:19 AM
i haven't been on the road too long, only 4 years, but here in nj
i've seen some of the worst things u can imagine...last year it
would really bug me if someone say didn't use thier blinker, or
would slow to 2mph 50 feet before they turned off

but lately when i get in my car, my mentality is just survive...ignore
everyone and thier ****, just get to the place u wanna go as quickly
as possible...of course this has led to its own fair share of problems
like 12mpg in the city =] heheheheh