PDA

View Full Version : Prounication of bimmer?

BigKriss
02-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I've never heared of someone call a BMW as a "bimmer". Is it only me? When chicks ask me what I roll in, I say a "beammer" or "bee-mer" like high beam headlight.

What's the deal?

Regards

Kristian

shogun
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/bimmer-beemer.asp

632 Regal
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
i say BEEMER

Dave M
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
I've never heared of someone call a BMW as a "bimmer". Is it only me? When chicks ask me what I roll in, I say a "beammer" or "bee-mer" like high beam headlight.

What's the deal?

Regards

Kristian

and he could answer, he'd probably say dead mammals, fish guts or deer $hit. To my knowledge he's never had a date, so you may want stick with bimmer :p

Couldn't resist,

Dave M

DaCan23
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Beemer is for BMW Motorcycles

Bimmer is for BMW Vehicles

632 Regal
02-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Beemer is for BMW Motorcycles

Bimmer is for BMW Vehicles.

bimmerd00d
02-10-2005, 01:50 PM
i say bimmer like it's spelled, not beemer.

Zeuk in Oz
02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
It all depends on what school you went to !
Hang on, silly me, I'm not allowed to end a sentence with a preposition so that must be "It all depends on to what school you went". Or should that be "It all depends on to which school you went"?
Shame no-one will understand it !
Dare I say it also depends on in which country you live. (There, avoided the preposition at the end - can anyone make sense of it? )
I say Bimmer, not Beemer or Beamer.
However to my ears. a Kiwi trying to say Bimmer would sound like Bummer, and if the same person was saying Beamer it would probably sound to me like Bimmer !
A Pom with a Cockney accent saying Bimmer would sound like Bim-muh to me.
I dare say a Texan saying Bimmer would sound like Beeeeemeeeer ! If he said Beemer it might sound like Beeeeeeeeeeemeeeeeeeeeer !
Dare I say it is all in the ears of the beholder - to coin a phrase ! :p

632 Regal
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
ok enough of this crap....

main posters need apply here, first time I wandered on here I asked if it was spelled Bimmer or Beemer, the later I thought was correct and I was told that Bimmer is for cars and pronounced as Beemer.

Not knowing anything about this old car evolution I went with what people told me and from what I heard in every movie I ever saw...BEEEEMER.

now after this is all hooked up with the proper pronunciation can we decipher the car

"Jaguar"?

I say "Jag you are" cause thats what I think it should be.

whatever LOL

jplacson
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Well, old-school purist BMW fanatics set a distinction (this mainly came from the BMW biker groups)

A BMW bike, is known as a Beamer, or Beemer... pronounced as BEAM-er
A BMW vehicle, is known as a Bimmer... pronounced as Bim (as in rim) -er.

TBH, the 'bimmer' pronunciation sounds really...REALLY funny to me. Makes me sound like I don't know how to zpeaken-ze-englich.

Even though I know it's supposed to be 'bimmer'... I don't really bother making the distinction, and have always said 'beamer' for both bikes and vehicles. I think only the Chris Bangle BMWs should be called "Bummers". :lol: This will be my new campaign for 2005. To coin the name "Bummers" for the Bangle Bungle Designs! :lol:

Paul in NZ
02-11-2005, 05:52 AM
beamer for me too,i called my bmw bike beamer,(beemer is there a difference) and i call my car a beamer ...and if i heard an Aussie trying to say bimmer it would sound like beeeeemer to me:).The first time i heard Bimmer was here.....Jaguar is pronounced jag,mostly jeff ;)

Dick Schneiders
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
pronounce it like it is spelled. They, rarely, have an article on BMW motorcycles, and then they do print "beamer" in the text.

Not saying that they are the definitive judge on this, but somebody has convinced them this is correct.

beamer for me too,i called my bmw bike beamer,(beemer is there a difference) and i call my car a beamer ...and if i heard an Aussie trying to say bimmer it would sound like beeeeemer to me:).The first time i heard Bimmer was here.....Jaguar is pronounced jag,mostly jeff ;)

Qsilver7
02-11-2005, 01:41 PM
My first memories of this debate goes back to the early/mid 80s when Hollywood & the Yuppies started buying into the BMW mystique. The movie industry kinda ingrained the pronunciation of "Beemer" into the American lexicon...but the Boston chapter of BMW CCA article (in Shogun's post) puts it all in perspective.

For me:
Bimmer = cars or 4 wheel vehicles
Beemer/Beamers = motorcycles or 2-3 wheel vehicles

George M
02-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Q got it right of course and the public never does.
The technical pronunciation is something like...
"aw shiiiiit."
:D
George

Paul in NZ
02-11-2005, 04:56 PM
i am not saying i am right..all bmw,s to me are beamers.......

Brian C.
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
...not right!! You guys can't even get your water to swirl down the drain the correct way!!!

:p

Brian C.
"A Beemer has two wheels, a Bimmer has four."
;)

Paul in NZ
02-11-2005, 07:25 PM
gee brian i wish everything was so clear to me............I always thought that there was no real difference in what our water did, or the side of the house you put small windows in,or the side the steering wheel was on.....sigh

Johntee540
02-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I second that motion! :) - JT

Paul in NZ
02-11-2005, 09:11 PM
I second that motion! - JT

hahahaha no pun intended i spose.......???

Brian C.
02-11-2005, 10:36 PM
"...side of the house you put small windows in..."??? Huh? That sounds like something dumb that I don't know about. I thought I knew everything there is about dumb stuff. ;)

Brian C.

winfred
02-11-2005, 11:21 PM
waldo rolling on a dead roach usually gets me laughing

and he could answer, he'd probably say dead mammals, fish guts or deer $hit.

winfred
02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/deck02/images/officers_club.jpg

rim) -er