PDA

View Full Version : Fixed My Skipping CD Changer...

Dave M
02-09-2005, 07:15 PM
A while back I purchased a headunit and Bentley manual from a fellow board member (if you’re reading, thanks again). In correspondence he said he had a stock Alpine (TR1001?) cd changer that skipped and was willing to send it along for no additional cost. I figured it wouldn’t hurt (except more $shipping) and asked him to send it. Months later, with the car in storage, I tried the changer out. Indeed it skipped, without the car moving an inch. I followed Winfred’s advice and bought a cleaner cd with the hairs on it (to remove fuzz balls from the lens). Thanks again Winfred, but it didn’t work. After failing to get any satisfaction at local audio establishments (all of whom considered it a ‘tough fix’ and wouldn’t look at it) I thought it was headed for the curb. So why not tear it apart for fun I thought. Stripped down to the scary bits (the changer, not me) I cleaned the lens and started playing with the plastic gears that move the lens assembly along its track. I noticed that the assembly did not move smoothly, but instead, would ‘skip’ forward on occasion.

Brainwave…..maybe that could cause the skipping.

Wow I say, and rip the lens/track assembly apart to re-align the little arm thingy that rides the screw part that moves the lens on its tracks :p . This entailed removing two screws, lifting the arm thingy, placing it back on track and screwing it down. I don’t expect anyone to understand this, its easily diagnosed when all the little thingies are in front of you. I pieced the whole thing back together and tried it today. It worked.

So, if anyone has a skipping changer, don’t toss it yet. It may take a hour to fix, but if I could do it, so can you (how motivational). If you want, send them to me, and for a small fee I’ll fix them and sell them on e-bay :D .

Hope this can help someone.

Dave M

Javier
02-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Javier.

PS: Yes, delete post is an option available in the very top square.

winfred
02-09-2005, 08:12 PM
worst one i ever fixed was a alpine just like that one that was trying to jam two cd's in the same slot in the cartrage, took it apart and put it back together a couple times and reset it and it was good to go

Paul in NZ
02-09-2005, 08:20 PM
re-align the little arm thingy that rides the screw part that moves the lens on its tracks . This entailed removing two screws, lifting the arm thingy,

now that tech talk even i understand!!!!I am gonna try that on my sony!!!!!.......

Dave M
02-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I believe car audio places use much more expensive terminology when explaining why they can't fix your thingies. Hail-Mary stereo fixes by audio-illegitimate, why not?

zygoteer
02-09-2005, 08:54 PM
hmmm ... reminds me of my PC ... the install said insert disk #3 ...but only 2 will fit ...hmmm

e34benja
08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I have the exact same issue.* I removed the stuck CD but I still get a Disk Error.* How do I reset the unit???

Any info would be appreciated.

Ben

worst one i ever fixed was a alpine just like that one that was trying to jam two cd's in the same slot in the cartrage, took it apart and put it back together a couple times and reset it and it was good to go

winfred
08-13-2006, 10:29 PM
most changers have a tiny reset button, it's been a while since i had to screw with a alpine and can't remember where it is, powering it down will reset some changers

I have the exact same issue.* I removed the stuck CD but I still get a Disk Error.* How do I reset the unit???

Any info would be appreciated.

Ben

Airborne001
08-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Any sugestions on getting the Err code with my CDX-M90? Fuse is good, and it loads CD's, just won't play em.

winfred
08-14-2006, 08:08 AM
probably a furball, my m30 has been screwing up lately too but haven't had time to unfuzz it

Any sugestions on getting the Err code with my CDX-M90? Fuse is good, and it loads CD's, just won't play em.

HDhandyman
08-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Three cheers for not giving up.

Here's a tech tip for next time:

Anyone who's doing this would do well to follow this simple step for all lasers, including drives, CD players, gaming machines, etc.

Once the laser lens is exposed, dip a Qtip in 70/30 isopropol alchohol and apply it to the lens gently, rotating the tip of the Qtip clockwise on the lens. Now, take the other side of the Qtip and apply it to the lens, gently rotating it around the lens clounter clockwise.---Check for fine hairs and let it dry for 1 minute.----Most of the time it will be good as new and take care of cleaning the stuff that cleaning disks never get!

This will fix a lot of those error messages fellas:)

Gayle
08-14-2006, 09:05 AM
"arm thingy" I love it.

Thanks for the motivation to us all.

Airborne001
08-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Are there any directions on here as to how to "defuz" it? ...sorry for using such technical jargon.

KenB
08-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Are there any directions on here as to how to "defuz" it? ...sorry for using such technical jargon.

Yes, read post #11 above.;)

saconnect
08-15-2006, 11:30 AM

When I bought my 95 touring, the previous owner told me that the CD player would not work, it would load CD's but give an error message. I was ready to go buy another one right away so we could have one for the trip back home, but my daughter said, let's try it anyway....she has to have her music. So we tried it, and got the error message. She promptly removed the changer cartridge, removed the CD, flipped it over so that the label was down instead of on top, put it back in, and it worked....It's a silly thing, but if you don't know...

Airborne001
08-16-2006, 05:13 AM
Not sure how I missed that post, sorry about that.