PDA

View Full Version : No High Beams & No Fogs

freeparking
02-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Dosent it always seem like when the weather is at its worst and you are broke
that your car starts breaking down? It seems that way...anyhow, I flicked on my high beams while driving with fog lights and low beams on. Suddenly my high beams and fog lights just seemed to go out. My low beams still work, but the dash light for the fog light is out, but the blue high beam light is not out. I pulled out the LKM. It didnt come out easy, buy after I put a little elbow grease on it, it came out. I looked very closely at the LKM and saw nothing wrong. I tend to think it may be a relay, but unlike the picture on Mr Brunos terrific site, my relays look different than those in the picture. I am very worried because we get a lot of fog here in Clinton NJ, and I dont want to take out a deer herd or a rabid raccon. Anyhow, I would appriciate any feedback or input on this subject.
Im getting my e.a.t. chip this weekend and I want the car ready for some serious driving adventures. Thanks.

Javier
02-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Lamp indicator behavior is OK, High beams blue is powered with the High Beams request signal, Fog lights green is powered with power feed to the fog lights (Its in parallel with right front fog lamp).

Is the blue dash indicator for High Beams permanently on? I mean, can't you turn off High Beams?

Is your car of that version not allowing high beams and fog lights together?

With LKM removed, check voltage from pin sockets 1, 3 and 18 to car body ground (Use the link to identify pins), They are High beams request, Low beams request and fog lights request, take readings at different Light switch/High beams lever/Fog lights switch positions. If voltage rise at each pin, at proper specific light turn on requests, then feel you should check your LKM, just re-do all soldering in relays pins, no matter if you see the cracks or not. Also check continuity in the relays coil, just to be sure none is burned open.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=827&stc=1

Let us know what you found.

Javier

vic525se
02-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Dosent it always seem like when the weather is at its worst and you are broke
that your car starts breaking down? It seems that way...anyhow, I flicked on my high beams while driving with fog lights and low beams on. Suddenly my high beams and fog lights just seemed to go out. My low beams still work, but the dash light for the fog light is out, but the blue high beam light is not out. I pulled out the LKM. It didnt come out easy, buy after I put a little elbow grease on it, it came out. I looked very closely at the LKM and saw nothing wrong. I tend to think it may be a relay, but unlike the picture on Mr Brunos terrific site, my relays look different than those in the picture. I am very worried because we get a lot of fog here in Clinton NJ, and I dont want to take out a deer herd or a rabid raccon. Anyhow, I would appriciate any feedback or input on this subject.
Im getting my e.a.t. chip this weekend and I want the car ready for some serious driving adventures. Thanks.
I had the same type of problem i opened up the lkm it looked fine but i resoldered the 4 relays in it,Its been perfect ever since its worth a try lkm are not cheap