PDA

View Full Version : E34 Turbo ?

gma
02-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi, all -

Was giving some thought to adding a turbo to my 92 525i 5 speed (M50).

Does anyone have any experience with adding a turbo? Am I asking for trouble in some way? Do I need to worry about the heads or bottom end? Do I need to replace my computer or have my chip reprogrammed?

I appreciate any input anyone can offer.

Thx,

gma

spddmn713
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
What you have to modify all depends on how much boost you want to run. Really it is a good idea to update/upgrade everything. The older the motor the less abuse it is going to take. I do not have a lot of experience first hand, just what I have read and what I have been told. You might want to search the archives for the forum to get some more specific info. From what I have heard the stock motor will take ~8lbs of boost without running the chance of hurting the bottom end. You will need to change the chip for sure, but most turbo kits come with a custom chip designed for the motor/turbo combination. I hope that I have helped point you in the right direction, sorry I could not be more help. Search the archives, I am sure someone has posted some really good info in the past.

Jose
02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm currently building a M30 engine which is going to be turbo-ed with a Mosselmann turbo kit.If you want to be sure that the turbo is going to perform as you might expect it too, it's wise to completely rebuild the bottom end of your engine as it's going to have to put up with alot more strain ( don't forget to change the piston-connecting rod pin ) Replacing the valve seals and cleaning/polishing the valves should do for the head part.You might have to consider a new clutch as you'll be looking up to 60-70 bhp increase depending on the free flow exhaust sitting under the car.
Most of the time people forget all the extra work that has to be done to an engine to keep it running after turbocharging it.

I don't know where your're from, but you might consider saving up all the money and buying an M5 3.6. It'll be faster than an charged M50.

It's a lot work, costs a huge pile of money, but in case of the M30 3.5, 485 NM of torque makes up for the investment, especially if this engine is build in an E30 M3(bye, bye M5......)

bahnstormer
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
check out tcd http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/
jon k on this board is building a custom supercharger for his 525