PDA

View Full Version : Need help, My High Beams aren't stable

Jaycullison
02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Hello,
1st of all i have an 1989 530i, UK spec. i am new to BMW's so my experience level is none.

My high beams are very unstable, i can have them on for about 3 minutes, and they turn off, or if i turn them off for a oncoming car, they will not turn back on for about 10-15 minutes. The blue "high beam" display still shows in the speed console. I have bought a LKM from a junkyard, but am unsure if i should put it in as it was exposed to water also i am not experienced in soldering. Is the LKM the fix for this problem?

thanks
jay

Javier
02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
blue indication still on, yes I would say is the High beam relay from the LKM.

You have a new one, just open it, if it looks dirty, just carefully clean with soapy water, avoid water in open devices, rinse and dry with warm air, close and plug in place. New junkyard LKM may have worse bugs that the one you have!!

The proposed fix in Bruno's site

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/LKM.htm

is very simple and easy to carry out, what you have to look after, is what is connected between pin 2 and pin 20 of the LKM (Relay contact) see picture for pin ID.

Javier

shogun
02-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Javier,
I read all you comments in electrical/electronic things. Many things to learn. That is my weak point, electr.
Thanks for the input and sorry for sometimes stupid questions.

Jaycullison
02-10-2005, 07:04 AM
thanks

Mr Project
02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
I would recommend cleaning with rubbing alcohol or similar rather than soapy water...that way if you don't get it totally dry it's no big deal. But either way, you can buy a soldering iron for $7 at Radio shack and fix the connections in the LKM. It's not that tough.