PDA

View Full Version : Bosch vs Valeo alternators

Wyn
02-08-2005, 06:44 AM
I have a "91 525, manufactured in Dec '90 and need to replace the alternator. The biggest problem is that the car is on the other side of the world currently :( and I will be having my friend take it to a shop to get replaced, I was on bimmerparts and saw

This alternator only applies to models which came originally came equipped with a Bosch alternator. If equipped with 140 amp Valeo, replacement only available through dealer. Up to production 2/91 (1) 11 28 1 738 605 deflection roller is also required.
How do you tell the difference between the two manufacturers, and if it is a Valeo, how much would it cost to replace?

glen-sj
02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I have a "91 525, manufactured in Dec '90 and need to replace the alternator. The biggest problem is that the car is on the other side of the world currently :( and I will be having my friend take it to a shop to get replaced, I was on bimmerparts and saw

How do you tell the difference between the two manufacturers, and if it is a Valeo, how much would it cost to replace?

Take a look at this website. http://autoexpress.safeshopper.com/229/cat229.htm?342

Call them with your question. good luck.

glen-sj

Jon K
02-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I did the swap. It delayed me because no one told me the pulleys were different. Otherwise though, the alternators are the same. I had valeo, went to bosch, so far so good.

AllGo'n'Show
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Jon how did you fix your diffrrent pully problem? I have the same thing :(

EDIT: Yes I know thread rsurection but no one else as brought it up

Jon K
02-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I had to buy bosch pulley... call BMA tell them you need alternator pulley they will ask what alternator is on the car tell them bosch.

AllGo'n'Show
02-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Any chance u got that part # handy? I only got a BMW part number not a Bosch part number