PDA

View Full Version : OT - Garage Floor Paint

DonC
02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Has anyone painted their garage floor with any of the 2-part epoxy paints on the market? Your thoughts are appreciated.

uberhahn
02-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Has anyone painted their garage floor with any of the 2-part epoxy paints on the market? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I painted mine with a Velspar 2-part kit found at Home Depo 4 years ago. I did it far outside the correct way, but I have had absolutely no negative effects.

I painted mine when it was 'bout 39 degrees F. I would work better if you painted per the instructions (bout 70 deg. F). In addition, I just hosed my garage out to make sure all obvious dirt was gone. Did not acid etch or scrub... I added sand (part of the kit) to make it non-slip. I have parked cars in the garage since then. I have had no ill effects. It's so nice to just mop up an oil spill and not have to worry about stains. I have had absolutely none, and have no plans to re-do the floor as it has held up very well.

There is an additive you can buy that contains little flakes for decorative purposes. I would avoid these, as any screw/bolt/nut will instantly be camoflaged. I was fortunate that someone pointed this out to me prior to my application.

So, go do it. Mine cost 'bout $80 for everything, including a roller.

uberhahn

wengenstein
02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm sold! I was thinking about tackling the garage this spring. I've got a nasty little oil leak and it'd be nice to not have to worry about staining or making sure I park just right over the oil mats. :)

Dennis

I painted mine with a Velspar 2-part kit found at Home Depo 4 years ago. I did it far outside the correct way, but I have had absolutely no negative effects.
So, go do it. Mine cost 'bout $80 for everything, including a roller.

uberhahn