PDA

View Full Version : Failed Smog Test

MantecaBMW
02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Took her in for smog Saturday and she failed.

Minimum allowable HC's at low RPM is 81.....measured PPM was 88. At higher RPM's everything was fine.

Tech said it might be the catalytic convertor....well in my case converters....

Still had to pay $50 for a failed test.

They wanted another $110 for diagnosis and if the converters need replacing, another $500 plus labor to install.......at that point I walked out.

****!!!

Any ideas what else might cause the high reading? Just tuned her up that morning.

Help!!!

dave b
02-07-2005, 09:12 PM
When you go back, make sure the car is hot. Drive it around pretty hard until your temp guage is in the middle. That should solve it...

Dave

liquidtiger720
02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Wow That sucks manteca. i barely passed mine last year. max was 81 measured 80 at 15mph. measured 30 at 25mph with max of 46.

~ I may call you tommorow. What time are you at work till?

632 Regal
02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Manteca, next time stop in there, tell them that you have to make sure the car is HOT cause the cats are farther away from the engine than normal cars. If they agree than tell them youll be back in a few and insist that they hook it up right away when you return. Go for a nice hot blast running through the gears as much as possible if you cant get it going fast and hard then return for a retake. If they do not agree to this than find another place to test it at.

Your car needs to be HOT and a running idle dont cut it, another thing that helps is to change the oil, gets the contaminents that burn off out of there and you will get reduces readings.

Hope this helps some.

MantecaBMW
02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Temp gauge was just shy of the middle where she normally runs. I asked them to do a retest and they agreed.....but no price break.....another $50 if it doesn't pass. What I thought was a bit fishy was they mentioned a cat failure......and the smog test station was part of a muffler shop.....Hmmmm, just a bit suspicious to me......

I found another place in Mt. View that specializes in BMW's. Taking her there today. Oh, changed the oil as well. Hope it all works.....stay tuned.

Thanks,

Mark

MantecaBMW
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
You got the number........

MantecaBMW
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, took it to someone who knows BMW's and it passed.....well below the average levels......Now if I can only re-coup my looses from the "Good Ol' Boys" at the muffler shop.........

Thanks All

BlackOnBlack
02-09-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm on the peninsula. Just bought a '92 525Im, 140K miles.
What was the name and location of the shop you brought it to?

OK, took it to someone who knows BMW's and it passed.....well below the average levels......Now if I can only re-coup my looses from the "Good Ol' Boys" at the muffler shop.........

Thanks All

632 Regal
02-09-2005, 01:20 PM
good ol boys were gonna hook you up with some substandard cats and charge you a lot for something you obviously didnt need. Good choice going somewhere else.