PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp

Johnny B
02-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I just got my 525i back from the shop after a new head and radiator. Boy was that costly but it runs a whole lot better now. What I'm wondering is where on the Temp Gauge is the best temp for the engine to operate at it's peak. Before it went to the shop the needle went straight up at 12:00 o'clock and would stay there. Now the needle gets about 10:00 o'clock. Where is the best place on the temp gauge for the M20 engine?

Johnny B

632 Regal
02-06-2005, 05:07 PM
straight dead nuts center at 12:00, if its anywhere else something is wrong. Hopefully it is just a faulty sending unit but could be a sub standars thermostat also.

Kalevera
02-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Jeff, it's funny - after I changed my tstat on Friday, my temp goes to just a TAD above 12 O....like JUST a bit off center. Before, it was JUST a bit less than center. Apparently (according to BMA) this tstat is an 88 degree unit. However, the box said "80 degrees" and the part number seemed to intimate that it is an 80 degree model.

I know that the old BEHR in there was OEM....so I assume it was 88 degrees?!

who knows.

lowell

liquidtiger720
02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Whit- My thermostat is just like yours too! I was always wondering if I didnt bleed the system right or something, because the needle is always about 1 needle width over 12o'clock.

Kalevera
02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Josh - I think I bled the system alright. After looking at Gale's page, the location of the needle seems consistent with the 88 degree temp.

It sure as hell wasn't fun to bleed the system though :( It started out fine, TONS of air bubbles, burping components, etc. But then, after cutting the engine with the expansion tank cap off, it erupted and spat out a bunch of new Cool Blue. After that, I filled 'er right back up and no more bubbles. Sweet.

Still haven't installed my sachs kit. Will get to it tomorrow or Tuesday, reason being that my "friends" at NAPA returned the spring compressor that I'd borrowed last week (and couldn't use because the kit didn't show up in time). So I'm going to weld one together tomorrow. I also might put it off a few days, because my rear bump stops are rotting away and the kit didn't include any new ones...so I guess I'll be calling BMA for the third time in ~ 2 weeks tomorrow.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Hmm- I think i will add new bump stops to the list now whit. Haha. Good luck with the install. Cant wait for your write up. I think I will be ordering everything tommorow or tuesday.