PDA

View Full Version : New HVAC Control...stuck!

slingbladef16
02-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Greetings all,

This is frustrating... Bought a 99 528it, nice ride, but a few minor touchups needed. The passenger temperature increase button had broken off and was jerry-rigged into place in which it would fall off every now and then.
I had the BMW dealer(75 miles away) ship me a new HVAC control panel...All seemed well with the new part except both the driver and passenger temperature increase buttons were unmovable. Thinking it would work upon installation I put it in place and now cannot raise the temperature ON BOTH SIDES!
Ugghh...
Is there something I am supposed to do with the new HVAC control panel prior to installation to free the movements of the buttons? Or did I just receive a defective part from the dealer as part of some wild German conspiracy to teach me swear words in Uberspeak?

Thanks anyone that can help.
-Matt

Qsilver7
02-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Greetings all,

This is frustrating... Bought a 99 528it, nice ride, but a few minor touchups needed. The passenger temperature increase button had broken off and was jerry-rigged into place in which it would fall off every now and then.
I had the BMW dealer(75 miles away) ship me a new HVAC control panel...All seemed well with the new part except both the driver and passenger temperature increase buttons were unmovable. Thinking it would work upon installation I put it in place and now cannot raise the temperature ON BOTH SIDES!
Ugghh...
Is there something I am supposed to do with the new HVAC control panel prior to installation to free the movements of the buttons? Or did I just receive a defective part from the dealer as part of some wild German conspiracy to teach me swear words in Uberspeak?

Thanks anyone that can help.
-Matt

According to the parts database...there are 3 different IHKA units...and they're based on the cars mfg date...did you get the correct one? You can check for the correct part number by mfg date at the following link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DP63&mospid=47595&prod=19990300&btnr=64_0678&hg=64&fg=20

Also, your description gets a bit confusing because of the "terminology" you used. When the IHKA unit was uninstalled, you said the temp buttons were "unmovable" ... then when you installed the IHKA unit, you said you couldn't "raise the temperature". Is that because the buttons were still unmovable ... or were the buttons now movable but the temp display would not increment upward/downward when they were pushed?

If the latter...you may want to contact the dealership you purchased the unit from and ask them if when you install a new IHKA unit, does it need to be programmed (by hooking the car up to the DIS or MoDic machine) before it will work. I say this because on the e38 7 series...a new/replacement IHKA unit has to be programmed...not sure about the e39...but this may be your problem.

Good luck.