PDA

View Full Version : Its hard to say goodbye...

George M
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
After all these great years...six to be exact…joy, sweat and tears...a big day for me yesterday, I sold my pride...my beloved 1990 735iL. I know this is an E-34 board but I have so many friends on here and just had to let you know.
I had a weak moment and a real nice, and I might add, deserving gentlemen from the Roadfly board expressed interest resulting in a volley of e-mails and pictures and the rest is history. The emotion I feel is so much more profound due to all the great people I have met only because of this car. This car and the people due to our shared car hobby comprise some of the best experiences of my life. I would recite names but you all know who you are. Barry Meguaire is right...there are no finer people than car guys...you guys. He can't explain it, nor can I...just the way it is. I can’t thank you enough for your friendship and knowledge you have imparted to make our shared passion of BMW ownership so enjoyable. As to the car...well it is simply the nicest car I have ever owned...far and away the best open road car, arguably the best looking, best running and best engineered.
A brief anecdote about my friend David who bought the car. I have to applaud his spirit because he really captures the essence of the hobby. Buy a car across the country, fly out and drive it home...a romantic embrace of the open road...a fitting way to say goodbye to this special car. A fellow Roadfly member who BTW now owns two 1990 735iL’s...flew in from Salt Lake City...stayed the night after we scrutinized the car where I live in Michigan, reviewed all the records which took an hour and a half :p and took it for a good drive after the car hadn’t been driven for two months. As usual, it performed as a BMW should. Just before I picked him up at the airport, I started the car and it fired instantly. After staying over Thursday night...since he had a two solid day drive home in front of him, he hit the road after breakfast. At breakfast, our food was late and the waitress simply gave us our food for free...a good omen.
I will still come on the board and converse with my friends as the people involved in this hobby were always more important to me than the car itself...and make no mistake, I loved that car. But time to send it to a new home and a good home its going to...I couldn’t be more pleased.
Best Wishes to all my friends and to David. I hope you enjoy the car as much as I did,
George
P.S. Today around 10:00 AM or so, I couldn’t stand it any longer and
had to call David on his cell to see if he was safe and how the car was performing. He said the car hadn’t missed a beat and he was cruising through Nevada happily at 3400 RPM where he had his cruise set and loving every minute...doesn’t get any better than that...what that car was meant to do.
A last picture with my 7:
http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/7's Last Day.jpg

winfred
02-05-2005, 08:41 PM
don't be a stranger

freeparking
02-05-2005, 08:54 PM
What kind of car are you gonna buy now??

Martin in Bellevue
02-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes, don't be a stranger. Your input & perspective are appreciated here.
Do I smell an m5?

Bill R.
02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
going to be another bmw or do you have japanese plans ? This will be one of those cars that you always think about in the future wondering if you should have sold it or not... but I'm sure that you'll find another project car too keep you occupied... Maybe a prius ;)

Mitch90535im
02-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Damn George, that almost made me cry.

Javier
02-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Javier

willobmw
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
What a beauty George. Silver was always one of the Seven's best color. I can see why you haven't driven it in awhile. I have Family in Saginaw. I only visit between April and ealy October. I'm sure David will continue to preserve it. I bet the car says when can I get an owner in Florida or somewhere where it is warm. :p
Seeing you standing up there is preparing me for my day.:(
Willo
1990 535i
1981 528i
1975 2002

Sean H
02-05-2005, 10:49 PM
The fact that the car was that clean...in Michigan...in winter speaks worlds of your devotion to her.
Now don't stray too far when you pick up her replacement :)

Phil Sanderson
02-06-2005, 03:09 AM
...and it will be hard to find your next BMW (one that is up to your high standards). It's been great knowing you for the last few years, your contributions to the Board have been many and I will miss your BMW experience - so don't be a stranger - we even let people with Fords talk about BMW's here. (I lied, I'm not a loss for words)

regards
Phil Sanderson

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/7's Last Day.jpg

Paul in NZ
02-06-2005, 04:22 AM
au revoir george.Your knowledge,experience , expertise and opinions will be missed by this board member.Were you kinda contemplating a sale,anyway?.I can buy a 540 if i want but i cant quite see how i can sell my 535......I always have HAD to get a new car before......
I am interested to see what you get next,keep in touch.

Brian C.
02-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Yes, I know the feeling. But this too shall pass. Soon after I gave up my Bimmer I had a few semi-regrets. More like yearnings to be around an old friend once in a while. But I've found that the best thing is not to look back, but forward and possibly even up!

Funny story from last night....

I went to a Film Festival last night on Miami Beach to see a movie premier that was made by a friend of mine. The area is called Lincoln Road and is what one might think of when you hear about all the glitter and glam that can be "Fabulous South Beach Nightlife". Personally, most times I'd rather stay home and watch Emeril but since it was a friend's film and it was about my line of work, I went. Now, Lincoln Road is where you can see absolutely any type of car imaginable. Bentleys, Rolls, Aston Martins, M's and AMG's etc. are a dime a dozen. It can make you drool sometimes. But then.....you'll see something special.

The after-party was at a cafe on a side street and as I turned the corner to walk in, what should I see??? Parallel parked there, right in front of the door was the sweetest E34 M5T I've ever seen. Of course I've never seen too many of them to start with. That bad-ass purple color too. Needless to say, I was outside of the party often last night. I smoked a stogie with my newest friend around 2 am, waiting for the owner to show up. No one ever did. As I was about to leave around 3 am, I had thoughts of taking it home like one would do for a stray puppy, but alas......the cops frown on that sort of activity. Dude, it was sweet.

So we parted ways and it was one of those moments that have occurred from time to time since I gave up my E34. I've decided that if...IF...I ever get another Bimmer it will be a step up. That doesn't mean newer or more expensive or flashier. You know what I mean. A Jr-mobile, an M5T, a 540/6, an E30 M3, a 740i Sport......like I said, you know what I mean.

I know you've had a few great driving pleasures with your non-BMWs and we all should acknowledge that they can happen to the best of us. ;) How you might move "up" from your 7 would be hard to imagine. Just remember to keep you priorities straight. That of course would be to make sure there's enough room for a couple of bags of clubs, a cooler and bag 'o cash for that road trip to Pebble Beach!

See ya..........

Brian C.

Incantation
02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
no problem man just buy another one and you will feel better.. :)

Robin-535im
02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
The after-party was at a cafe on a side street and as I turned the corner to walk in, what should I see??? Parallel parked there, right in front of the door was the sweetest E34 M5T I've ever seen. Of course I've never seen too many of them to start with. That bad-ass purple color too.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=176421613

Saw this on Autotrader during my weekly survey of, like you said, the next dream machine...

George - Your unmistakable color will be missed. Let us know what the replacement is!

- Robin

Hector
02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure your friend drove back home with a smile from ear-to-ear and in retrospect is saying to himself "damn, can't believe it... this one bad ride." I will refrain from the mushy sentiments because you'll be coming back... take care bro.

George M
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much to you all for your kind words. There are so many great people on this board and we have shared so many great times together doing what we like best...which is talking cars...well...second best anyway :p
Your responses define what the car hobby is all about. We are car guys and don't know why for the grace of God but we love cars and can relate best to guys like us...why we congregate on this board.
The gent who bought my car just posted his trip report. Please have a quick read. As mentioned in my opening post, I am very pleased my car has gone to an enthusiast who really appreciates it. BTW, I have no plans to replace it short term. I am driving a Saturn currently..please hold the laughter :D .
I may end up giving it to my girlfriend who is still a bit young to drive ;)
Not sure what I will get next...was just time to set my 7 free and the right guy bought it.
Cheers,
George

David's Trip Report back home (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e32/6223115-1.html)

Patrick
02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah, don't be a stranger around here George -your knowledge and wit is going to be missed. And keep us posted on what the next car project is!

Bill R.
02-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks so much to you all for your kind words. There are so many great people on this board and we have shared so many great times together doing what we like best...which is talking cars...well...second best anyway :p
Your responses define what the car hobby is all about. We are car guys and don't know why for the grace of God but we love cars and can relate best to guys like us...why we congregate on this board.
The gent who bought my car just posted his trip report. Please have a quick read. As mentioned in my opening post, I am very pleased my car has gone to an enthusiast who really appreciates it. BTW, I have no plans to replace it short term. I am driving a Saturn currently..please hold the laughter :D .
I may end up giving it to my girlfriend who is still a bit young to drive ;)
Not sure what I will get next...was just time to set my 7 free and the right guy bought it.
Cheers,
George

David's Trip Report back home (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e32/6223115-1.html)
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2007/2007-Saturn-Sky-Roadster-S-Speed-Woman-1280x960.jpg

bjl4776
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
yea, complete with hot blond chick

George M
02-07-2005, 01:47 PM
nice combo Bill....girl and car as bj mentioned. Saturn is a contradiction of sorts...they have talent over there but as usual GM management has a way of thwarting it. The car shown has a little Boxster and Z8 in it...good shapes to copy. My SC2 5 speed is an excellent runabout....but had an evolution of approx. 10 years where they did little to change the engine and chassis...why they are so dependable. I love the simplicity of the design. Saturns tend to be real iffy for the first 3 years
:-) The Ion after a three year run is now only starting to be a decent car. Pretty tough competition when the Japanese get it right almost immediately. As you well know...so many nice cars out there and so little time.
What they say about women applies to cars as well. Nothing better for the heartache of a lost love than a new love.
George

Scott H
02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I guess I figured after your comments about your old Porsche, that you would not let this happen again! ;)

Maybe you caved to the outside pressures exerted on you by the american car people you surround yourself with on a day to day basis!!! :p

Seriously though, congrats on the satisfaction of finding the right price, and the right owner to sell your 735 to.....I'm sure that made the process much more acceptable.

It has been a pleasure to get to know you due to these forums, and our cars' commonalities. I have learned a lot from you, not only in regards to our specific vehicles, but many other things as well. Say so long to the controversial red valve cover, thrust arm replacement technique, and choice of non standard wheel paint :)

Thanks George......catch you via e-mail from here on out....
Scott

George M
02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi Scott,
A whole host of factors actually. It was time. Bottom line, is I had my fun with the car and accomplished what I wanted to. If I had a lot of room or second house, I would have kept it. But in my condo with two car garage...that big car ate up a lot of space for an occasional fair weather car I only drove 5 months out of the year. It ran as well as it could for what it is. My real passion is for coupes versus sedans and sticks versus slushboxes and soft tops versus hard tops...course a nice 911 with sunroof wouldn't be bad :-) Will I have regrets down the road?...perhaps. But this car made me forget about most of the cars I have owned in the past and likely the next one will as well...how it goes. Lets face it...there are some pretty cool cars out there neither of us have owned yet. Thanks for the kind words. It is indeed a pleasure meeting you as well Scott. You are a hell of nice and thoughful young man. You have taught me a thing or two as well. So many have contributed so much to this board. Bill R, Winfred, Jr...Bimmer Nut Ed of course...its a long list.
Best Regards,
George
P.S. I know you are even taller than me...what size frame C'dale do you ride?
I am of course getting a nice road bike for the spring :-)...likely 60cm. c-to-t

DueyT
02-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Well George, was it Shakespeare who said, "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all"?

Best of luck in the future and I know you won't be a stranger here!

Cheers,
Duey

warton
02-08-2005, 12:05 PM
You've been a wonderful contributor, and have helped me out more than once. You bring a perspective here that is unique and valuable. Have fun with the next project.

Regards,
Peter

George M
02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the kind words. Feeling is mutual. As you know, technically I didn't own an E-34 and hung out due to the great car guys here so won't wonder too far :)
Hey brother...have a look..this makes me drool. Gonna get in the mix on this one:
Kestrel Talon (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7133109804&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

As a high end cyclist, wonder if you have had the pleasure? Would appreciate any observations...only Shimano 105 but the price is right...frame is awesome.
George

warton
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Peter,
Hey brother...have a look..this makes me drool. Gonna get in the mix on this one:
Kestrel Talon (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7133109804&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

As a high end cyclist, wonder if you have had the pleasure? Would appreciate any observations...only Shimano 105 but the price is right...frame is awesome.
George

Pretty sweet ride. I haven't put much time on carbon bikes, but when I did ride a Trek carbon main frame for a weekend about 4 years ago I found it a bit weird feeling - kind of wooden. I really think that's just me though, plus that bike was an AL/CF mix, and it was a long time ago. Obviously the stiffness, light-weight, and dampening qualities of CF make it one of the best materials for frame construction. Apparently Lance thinks so too... ;-) I think the Talon weighs in at under 17lbs built, which is pretty damn light.

As far as components go, 105 STI is good enough for recreational riders. I've ridden extensively with all three (105, Ultegra, and DuraAce), and I have to say I wouldn't opt for a 105 equipped bike - at least not shift/brake levers. It costs so much to "upgrade" later that IMO it's worth getting the bike with the components you want right out of the gate. 105 rear derailleur with Ultegra shifters would be a good compromise. DuraAce really is significantly better (faster shifting, positive action, robust, and non-finicky), but it's also significantly more expensive. It’s kind of like the difference between, say, a Saturn and a BMW. :) :) :) :)

Anyway, my only advice (as opposed to rambling opinion) is to get to a local bike shop and test ride some bikes – I mean really test ride, not an “around the parking lot” ride. A decent bike shop will “loan” one out for an extended test ride; take it on a route you know and spend at least an hour doing a ride to see how you like it.

Keep us posted!

Peter

George M
02-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Will do and Thanks for your experienced opinion Peter on the bike front.
Your allegorical reference to the difference between a BMW and Saturn really made your point...ouch :p
Cheers,
George

warton
02-08-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.lotuscars.com/elise-3-1024.jpg

George M
02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
...that looks pretty cool!

Jr ///M5
02-08-2005, 09:31 PM
George,

As you can see, there are several of us that are glad to have known you through this board. But let's get one thing straight, the car left, not you....but when it did leave, it took a piece of you with it, along with everyone on the board who wittnessed some of your documented projects. We know you loved that car and that's why we say what we do, it was like a member of the board too, if that's possible. We share your pain...

On the other hand, we are waiting in anticipation for the next one, and I don't care what you say, it's in your blood, you can't resist the temptation of a project, because you know why?? You have a thing called "vision" and it's much respected on the board.

Now I'll get off my soapbox, and expect to see your postings as usual as if nothing ever happened...=)

Good luck with your search my friend....hey, I know where there's this mint '99 STS with 29k miles for 13k....=)

Jr

shogun
02-08-2005, 10:25 PM
if you want THE ultimate Highline with 11K KM, I will not buy it. It is still there for sale.
Mike (Hairywithit) and myself could help you to get the car exported from Japan to USA. You know my and Mikes email address.
Mike found another Highline in Okinawa. Needs some work, but only 98K KM.

Just to get your mouth a bit watered for the Highline, probably the one with the lowest miles on this planet, except the exhibits in BMW Munich.
http://www.wintel.co.jp/wintel/vcs_photo/photo2/358-1_000291-2.jpg
http://www.wintel.co.jp/wintel/vcs_photo/photo3/358-1_000291-3.jpg

George, and this one was sold in Japan for 4000,- only. Slide show 56 pics Highline (http://jp.y42.photos.yahoo.co.jp/bc/ynv25942/slideshow?&.dir=/%a3%c2%a3%cd%a3%d7%a1%a1%a3%b7%a3%b5%a3%b0%a3%c9%a 3%cc%a1%a1%a5%cf%a5%a4%a5%e9%a5%a4%a5%f3&.src=ph&.view=t)

winfred
02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
got a gold/tan 99 528ia at the shop for sale, i think the black/tan 98 740il is sold, you should of seen the 01 740il we just sold with 59k it had everything but pdc (active seats are weird)

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2005, 11:05 PM
The close of a chapter, nothing more, nothing less.
May I suggest a diversion into the unheralded world of turbo charged, common rail, direct injection diesels. Much to explore, even more to discover. :p
Especially when combined with a worthwhile driving platform.
Oh the joys ! :D

winfred
02-08-2005, 11:23 PM
unfortunatly we don't get many diesel cars in the states, if you don't want a semi econo box vw or a royal pain in the ass overpriced benz you are SOL, id dearly love to get my mitts on a 3.9 twin turbo diesel v8 from a 740d bmw and a 6 speed to figure out how to install in my 535. americans got soured on diesel cars in the 80s by all of the absolute crap we got served and the market just hasn't recovered

The close of a chapter, nothing more, nothing less.
May I suggest a diversion into the unheralded world of turbo charged, common rail, direct injection diesels. Much to explore, even more to discover. :p
Especially when combined with a worthwhile driving platform.
Oh the joys ! :D

shogun
02-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Winfred,
that reminds me of my own experience. Last year I went to Germany/Europe on holiday. I had a rental car from Europcar (use the online booking for that, sometimes they have really nice holiday discounts). Had a Mercedes Benz C Class Diesel. You cannot believe that. Drove in total about 3.000 km = maybe 2000 miles roughly. Consumption was less than 6 Liters for 100 km, and the speed was ending up at 235 or 240 om the dashboard on the Autobahn. These Diesel engines in Europe are really high tech. If I ever go back to Europe, Diesel, nothing else.
In Japan there is nothing for Diesels, really funny, only trucks, but no passenger cars. Taxis run on gas.

Zeuk in Oz
02-09-2005, 01:20 AM
unfortunatly we don't get many diesel cars in the states, if you don't want a semi econo box vw or a royal pain in the ass overpriced benz you are SOL, id dearly love to get my mitts on a 3.9 twin turbo diesel v8 from a 740d bmw and a 6 speed to figure out how to install in my 535. americans got soured on diesel cars in the 80s by all of the absolute crap we got served and the market just hasn't recovered

I do realise that, but consider obtaining one as part of George's new challenge ! :D
Well worth the effort.
The new 5 series with the 3 litre diesel gives me goosebumps. If only I could afford one !

George M
02-09-2005, 08:44 AM
What the car hobby is all about guys...talking cars pro and con...because all cars are just that...some pro and con. So many great cars and so little time :-) I guess you can have a car for 10-20 years and still love it. I owned my 735iL for 6 years and it was time. I drove it for a complete summer the summer before last after I sold my '01 V8 Aurora to a friend who still has it and loves it before I bought my Saturn. Gas mileage with the big six around town isn't very good as most know. The car needed Leatherique and an exhaust...about it. Honestly for around town the iL was a little big. Then there is the statement a big luxo BMW cruiser makes...especially in the Detroit area...was always concerned about getting the car keyed. License plates were astronomic for a 15 year old car....anyway some of the cons....many pro's also...no better highway car...had the servotronic set up for just the right effort at 100mph :-) Time for something else...meanwhile will just window shop. Shogun...you have to buy that Highliner. I had no doubt my E-32 was one of the nicest in the US...but believe the car you show may be the finest E-32 in the world...in condition, with V12 and very rare options of course. I believe that car "is you" man. By the way Erich, I sent the new headliner fabric for sunroof panel and C-pillars off with the new buyer of my car. A grateful Thank you for sending me that material.
As to diesels, I am not a big diesel guy but I never say never with ever increasing gas prices. As to hybrids...Bill as we have discussed often times...not in my near future either. You know where I stand...complexity and initial cost and attendant maintenance over time doesn't nearly compensate for the improved gas efficiency. I love the styling of the new Prius BTW...would love one with a single 2 liter 4V gas IC engine...and no motor :-) As to your point Winfred about MB's...completely agree not only having worked in Product Engineeering with DaimlerChrysler but knowing what the marquee represents. I have a friend that owned an early MB SUV and it was a disaster. MB's are too disco for my taste :-). Sadly BMW is leaning it that direction to expand their market base which I find unfortunate. Last word on MB's. I have a young engineering friend who is doing a stint in Germany for the air-bag company Takata who is a pretty savy car guy and drives a 318i E-46.
He says MB's in Germany are equivalent to Buicks in the states...lol. Nuff said.
George

Interceptor
02-09-2005, 09:24 AM
It's interesting how US (which has the world's largest crude oil reserves) is boicoting diesel cars, even though diesel fuel requires less derivation than the gasoline. Diesels are getting rapidly popular in Europe as days go by, and diesel engines are putting out tons of torque and horsepower, especially turbo-charged, intercooled common-rail ones. :) I wouldn't be surprised if the next M5 is a diesel :)

George M
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
If you mean interesting in the context of surprising...not at all. In the case of both diesel as well as hybrid cars...economics will always drive consumer demand versus choice of technology. Currently, gas is still cheaper in the US than anywhere on the planet. People drive gas cars because they can...in fact the average guy in America can many times afford a gas gussling SUV.
George

John B.
02-09-2005, 10:39 AM
George
I won't say goodbye as I'm sure you'll be around but I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice you offered when I was getting to know my new 535i, particularly my suspension questions. As for your next car project I'd vote for a nice 2 seater ragtop as it will be your summer car. Of course you could really surprise us & pick up the ultimate summer vehicle, a motorcycle. Something Italian would be nice.

George M
02-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Thank you John. It is I who thank you as well for all your painting advice when I was refinishing the BBS wheels that you see in the pic. Between the advice yourself and Jr provided, it really helped with making the wheels look close to the factory finish...after a serious case of carpal tunnel due to polishing all those recesses :-) Never again....haha. A nice ragtop would be nice...a low miles Boxster, Z3, S2000...be a lot of fun for the summer as you say.
John, speaking of Italian motorcycles...am looking at a Bianchi Giro of the peddling variety. I love motorcycles but just can't pull the trigger on one for fear of getting maimed on the road...bad enough to take your chances in a car with all the idiots out there.
The Italians as you well know with your Alfas have an unmatched artistic flair.
My buddies' Ducatti is gorgeous. To me cars and bikes are as much art as they are function...believe you feel the same way.
Thanks for the kind words.
George

paul p (chi-town)
02-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Good luck with your search my friend....hey, I know where there's this mint '99 STS with 29k miles for 13k....=)

JrAn STS, hah.
He’s waiting to pick up a CTS-V cheep.
LS2(?) w/ a 6speed stick..................duh.

C’mon G-man fess up. ;)
Your connections should help.

Lord knows George, you have a lifetime invite to our summer soirée here in chi-town.

Paul

”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004

George M
02-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks bro...seriously...nothing in sight. Would be fun to round up the boys in Chi-town. Got some snow today in Michigan...spring ain't here yet :-)
Hope all is well Paul.
George

paul p (chi-town)
02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
spring ain't here yet :-)
Hope all is well Paul.
GeorgeEh, just round the corner G........
Fired up ‘Helga’ last weekend and took the new girl shoppin, showin off the double roof........in sandals. ;)
The garage has taken a few ‘hits’ recently, changes may be afoot.........but it’s only metal.
Flesh is good, even managed to only catch the mild version of the flu that’s floatin round this year............others have had much worse. Hope you and yours have been spared.
Speaking of flesh the new girl might be a keeper.
All into consideration i’m very well.................ideal OTOH would be sheer boredom.

P

PS Gotta tell ya the Nurburgring tuned Caddys are lookin sweet. Somethin to watch for sure

”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004