PDA

View Full Version : Damn oil filter removal! :(

doogie
02-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I have a never ending list of problems, even with the simplest of things!

I finally decided to change my oil.... probably vastly overdue etc etc, anyway, drained the sump, went to take off the oil filter with one of those chain grip things..... could not for the life of me get a decent grip and leverage space.... went out (an hour walking) and got a boa rubber strap wrench thing, but I don't seem to be getting to far with that either...... I'm almost at the point where I'm just going to fill up with new oil and leave the old filter on since I need to use the car...... am I missing something obvious? Do I need to get a cap fit type thing? the only one I could find the other day was a little too small for the filter.

Rory
02-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I have a never ending list of problems, even with the simplest of things!

I finally decided to change my oil.... probably vastly overdue etc etc, anyway, drained the sump, went to take off the oil filter with one of those chain grip things..... could not for the life of me get a decent grip and leverage space.... went out (an hour walking) and got a boa rubber strap wrench thing, but I don't seem to be getting to far with that either...... I'm almost at the point where I'm just going to fill up with new oil and leave the old filter on since I need to use the car...... am I missing something obvious? Do I need to get a cap fit type thing? the only one I could find the other day was a little too small for the filter.
Hang in there, it will come off. The old faithful approach is to pierce a long screwdriver through the filter and use the long handle for leverage. Use the laws of physics to your advantage. If you try this then you have no option but to get the filter off. Make sure that you are going counter clockwise to loosen the filter. Also, when you install the new one do not put it on too tightly (1/4 turn past tight) and coat the seal with a thin layer of oil. Just be patient and confident.

Best,
Rory

Sean H
02-05-2005, 11:14 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Rory's right.
(Shudder) Now I have to go take a shower.

doogie
02-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys.

I desperately needed to use the car, so ended up putting the old oil back in, went to the store and back, tried again with the chain wrench and finally managed to get it to go.... I burned hell out of my hands though thanks to a nice toasty warm block, LOL!

Ah well, it's all drained and changed over now. :D

Garlic Breath
02-06-2005, 11:18 AM
The old faithful approach is to pierce a long screwdriver through the filter and use the long handle for leverage.
Flashback to the good old days of changing the oil filter on my 76 Grand Prix