bahnstormer
02-04-2005, 11:35 PM
i'm in the central nj area and in need of a shop to port/polish
my intake manifold...anyone do this? anyone know a shop
that can do it? otherwise i'll have to drop the 899 for the dinan
one =\

Alan_525i
02-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm virtually positive my shop (Mike Tilson's Motorcar Service) in West Philly (63rd and City Line) can do it. Tell them I sent you.

My car is there now getting its head put back on (FINALLY!).

If not VAC motorsports.

Bill R.
02-05-2005, 11:04 AM
What do you plan on gaining by porting the manifold without any corresponding porting and/or big valves in the heads,cams that would increase the engine air pumping capability or throttlebody/afm flow capabilities..These things all have to work together as a system in order to gain anything... not to mention exhaust changes as well... I used to see this alot working at a shop when we would have kids wanting us to install 600cfm carbs on engines that never pumped 250 cfm in their lives... I would think you could come up with much better changes to blow 900 bucks on... That sounds like a substantial start towards a turbo or supercharger...

i'm in the central nj area and in need of a shop to port/polish
my intake manifold...anyone do this? anyone know a shop
that can do it? otherwise i'll have to drop the 899 for the dinan
one =\

bahnstormer
02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
well bill, its one step at a time when u're a student =]
so i'm gonna start on the intake side of things and as the money
comes in do piece by piece.

to be honest I got the idea from bmwe34.net >> they have that
page there "recipe for power"

9- Ported intake manifold
This is a great upgrade, a must do if you have to remove the intake to change the gasket or rebuild the cylinder head. The intake is restricted and doesn't match the holes in the cylinder head.
This upgrade + headers is a great combo. This will give you some extra power in the upper RPM range.

Don't go Dinan, as this is waste of money. Get a local shop to modify it for you.

BmwE34.net recommendation: Easy and cheap modification.
HP gains: 0 to 2?Hp
Avg. Price: from $100 up.

sooooo, a little wheil back I posted about anyone selling headers, and I got a
reply from that...sooooo i'd like to stick some headers on and then clean up
my intake manifold a bit.....

also looking through dinan's catalog i see that they have some numbers published
for thier intake manifold + chip + "free flow exhaust" (which is just a gutted oem exhaust) and they are quoting 59 hp gains over stock at 6250rpm and 46hp at 6000rpm..

torque at 2000 rpm jumps 21 lb-ft as well...

of course i'm taking my tablespoon of salt with these numbers

The Power principle is to enter as much (cold) air as possible into the engine. So you could think that a bigger throttle body should help right? Yes, only if you have a MAF (see below), else it is a waste of money because the Air Flow Meter is very restrictive.
that is a quote again from the recipe for power page, and it is like 600-700 for a MAF, and it is complicated as hell so i'm trying my best to avoid goign down that road....

thanks though for your concern bill r, and if any of the stuff i typed up here is wrong,
PLEASE let me know =] don't wanna go wastin money and learning the hard way when
i've got a great board like this

bahnstormer
02-05-2005, 11:37 AM
alan, do u have a telefone number for them?

Bill R.
02-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Dinan manifold makes it gain of approx 8hp max. less than 5% by using a manifold that has been extrude honed, not ported by a local shop. Extrude honing opens up the restricted areas in a manifold much better than your shop guys can with a die grinder.. In fact is suspect your local shops are going to hurt the flow rather than help it since some of the bends in the bmw manifold are virtually impossible to get to with a conventional die grinder and porting equiptment, As Dinan states they use extrude honed manifold and then put a pretty paint job on it... So if you're bound and determined to waste money in this manner why don't you contact extrude hone directly and bypass Dinan and then do the port matching yourself? Extrude hone charges 400 to extrude hone a standard 6 cylinder manifold. If you call them they may have a cheaper price for bmw since they obviously have done them before for Dinan.

well bill, its one step at a time when u're a student =]
so i'm gonna start on the intake side of things and as the money
comes in do piece by piece.

to be honest I got the idea from bmwe34.net >> they have that
page there "recipe for power"

9- Ported intake manifold
This is a great upgrade, a must do if you have to remove the intake to change the gasket or rebuild the cylinder head. The intake is restricted and doesn't match the holes in the cylinder head.
This upgrade + headers is a great combo. This will give you some extra power in the upper RPM range.

Don't go Dinan, as this is waste of money. Get a local shop to modify it for you.

BmwE34.net recommendation: Easy and cheap modification.
HP gains: 0 to 2?Hp
Avg. Price: from $100 up.

sooooo, a little wheil back I posted about anyone selling headers, and I got a
reply from that...sooooo i'd like to stick some headers on and then clean up
my intake manifold a bit.....

also looking through dinan's catalog i see that they have some numbers published
for thier intake manifold + chip + "free flow exhaust" (which is just a gutted oem exhaust) and they are quoting 59 hp gains over stock at 6250rpm and 46hp at 6000rpm..

torque at 2000 rpm jumps 21 lb-ft as well...

of course i'm taking my tablespoon of salt with these numbers

The Power principle is to enter as much (cold) air as possible into the engine. So you could think that a bigger throttle body should help right? Yes, only if you have a MAF (see below), else it is a waste of money because the Air Flow Meter is very restrictive.
that is a quote again from the recipe for power page, and it is like 600-700 for a MAF, and it is complicated as hell so i'm trying my best to avoid goign down that road....

thanks though for your concern bill r, and if any of the stuff i typed up here is wrong,
PLEASE let me know =] don't wanna go wastin money and learning the hard way when
i've got a great board like this

freeparking
02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I dont know if you are anywhere near High Bridge/Clinton but my mechanic just
opened a machine shop in his garage. They tune muscle cars and dragsters. Rockys Rod Shop 908.638.4227