PDA

View Full Version : Codes I never knew I had.

tim
02-04-2005, 08:12 PM
So I get my setup going after a nice waxjob. Fujitsu tablet, port replicator, connector and carsoft diagnostic. The mailman brought the port replicator today, along with a package from ed so I fugured it was time to mess around with the car. Hook it up and pull some codes that are interesting. I cleared about 10 faults that I knew about from jobs I've done around the car. I went for a drive, came back, and I had three faults left that had no easy explanation.

1) ABS/ASC unit not responding. WTF. The antilocks work, and I don't even have ASC, so this one has me stumped.

2) Airbag unit fault. No real code, just "replace unit" under the individual diag. really?

3) Air Cond. Layering select wheel and layering flap motor. The indiv diag gave various pin locations to check. Oddly enough, the whole climate systems seems to work fine, so I'm leery of tracking this one down.

Thanks,

tim

shogun
02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
First do a reset. There can be old stored faults inside which have not been reset.
Then drive the car, and then do another test.
Clear all faults first.
Had the same prob when I bought the PEAKE tester. Got a fault that oxy sensor is defective. Was actually replaced already some time ago but did not make a fault reset.
Did a reset, drove the car, tested again > no more faults.

tim
02-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I cleared the stored faults. What do you mean by reset?

shogun
02-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Sorry, my English is a bit poor. I meant of course clear stored values first.

Kalevera
02-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Sweet. Digression: where does one get the carsoft program? My car apparently doesn't connect to any diags system (something's wrong with the bus/a malfunctioning box somewhere in the line is causing it)...it'd be good to have this setup for when I troubleshoot it.

Thanks!

Whit

tim
02-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Lowell,

The program and its variants can be found on ebay. If you do an ebay search on "diagnostics and BMW" you will find them. I bought mine from an ebayer in germany. It came with a connector. You need a computer with two serial ports, or a port replicator if you are going to use a laptop (unless you can find one of the old toshibas).

tim

p.s.: Anybody on that "layering wheel or flap motor?" Where is it?

Bill R.
02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
running a very early version of carsoft and the reason you're getting the wierd codes could be that you have systems that it can't interpret, I seem to recall the version was from back around 90 or earlier which is one of the reasons i didn't get one of the fujitsu laptops he was selling a while back with it on it...and for obvious reasons you can't go to carsoft and get the updated versions. The climate control system has changed almost every year since the e34 first came out with differing numbers of sensors and systems each time. You may actually not have a fault at all.

tim
02-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I have version 3.4 , how would one go about getting it updated? Does anyone have a licensed disk they could part with?

thanks,

tim

Bill R.
02-05-2005, 12:28 PM
version 6.5 i think and there's been a lot of versions, they update frequently , the newest version updates models from 95 on up. And they no longer use the type of double port system that you have either. they now have a dongle or something for security..

I have version 3.4 , how would one go about getting it updated? Does anyone have a licensed disk they could part with?

thanks,

tim