PDA

View Full Version : Really low on oil... Is two-stroke oil ok?

Dan in NZ
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
I live out in the country, 35km from the nearest gas station, and I'm really low on oil.

We have had about a week of 30+ temps (90F), and I don't want to risk running the car at highway speeds when it's low on oil. Can I just dump a liter of two-stroke oil in the car (which I have), and not worry about it till next change?

PS: The two-stroke oil is green (wtf?)

Paul in NZ
02-04-2005, 07:53 PM
when you really low,how low,have you had the DING low oil or is it at the bottom mark or off the dipstick all together How much oil do the 525 carry?

I live out in the country, 35km from the nearest gas station, and I'm really low on oil.

We have had about a week of 30+ temps (90F), and I don't want to risk running the car at highway speeds when it's low on oil. Can I just dump a liter of two-stroke oil in the car (which I have), and not worry about it till next change?

PS: The two-stroke oil is green (wtf?)

DueyT
02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Ummm...I'd drive at a conservative speed to the station. If you're really, really low, then maybe add the two stroke stuff but only to drive to the station and buy enough for a complete oil change as soon as you get home.

Derek A.
02-04-2005, 08:51 PM
The real questions are a. how did you let it get so low & b.why don't you have any oil in the car ?

Most two cycle engines do not rely on oil pressure to seperate vital engine components. I would hazzard a guess that in your engine it would do no good. That motor hold almost 7 quarts of oil - you should be good to make the drive - just go slow and easy and change it ASAP !

winfred
02-04-2005, 09:24 PM
i would not add two stroke to the crankcase of a four stroke motor, apples to oranges is the best way i can put it. the m50 holds 6/7 quarts the light usually bitches at 1 quart low, you are off the stick at 2, if you are touching the stick you are safe enough to drive, beyond that it's hard to say, i think two stroke would do more harm then good, keep the revs down is the best thing i can think of

Dan in NZ
02-04-2005, 09:40 PM
a. how did you let it get so low? - Pass. It got low all by itself.
b. why don't you have any oil in the car - I used the last of it when I topped it up last week!

Yeah, aside from being low on oil, I think the main problem is finding out where it's going. We have four cars here, and all fight for the good parking spaces, so it's hard to tell which drops are mine. I'll put some cardboard under the car tonight and try to determine if it's leaking or burning.

Mobius
02-05-2005, 01:17 AM
My unprofessional opinion is that this is a horrible idea. :)

Two-stroke oil is designed to be mixed with gas and burned - I can't imagine it's appropriate at all for use in the crankcase.

If you have enough oil to not set off the oil pressure sensor, you're fine. Keep in mind that being only a quart low would probably be enough to leave the dipstick dry.