PDA

View Full Version : I think I found my oil leak

granit_silber
02-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey Everybody,

Since late November I had a small oil leak. My indy couldn't find it. But every morning I'd come out and find 2-3 drops of oil on the driveway. today I was able to grab a few pics they're posted here

http://homepage.mac.com/yuthguy/PhotoAlbum3.html

I took a picture of everything that looked like it had oil on it. Pic 967 the black BMW stamped part is where I thought the leak was coming from.

What do you guys think? Is this bad?
-ashley

Dick Schneiders
02-04-2005, 12:01 PM
picture to enlarge so my old eyes couldn't see it all that well, but that is what it looks like to me. If so, it isn't an expensive part or difficult to replace.

You have to first drain the oil and then simply remove the sensor and replace it. I have never heard of anybody changing any gaskets on these things, but only replacing them with a new one.

Hey Everybody,

Since late November I had a small oil leak. My indy couldn't find it. But every morning I'd come out and find 2-3 drops of oil on the driveway. today I was able to grab a few pics they're posted here

http://homepage.mac.com/yuthguy/PhotoAlbum3.html

I took a picture of everything that looked like it had oil on it. Pic 967 the black BMW stamped part is where I thought the leak was coming from.

What do you guys think? Is this bad?
-ashley

John B.
02-04-2005, 12:32 PM
They enlarged for me by clicking on the pic. Might be the sensor but it's also pretty wet up by the pan gasket. I'd wash the whole area off with brake wash/carb cleaner, go for a ride & check it afterwards. This should show you the source of your leak although you could have more then one. I've got a small leak from my pan gasket but living in the snow belt I consider it rust prevention & don't worry about it.

Dick Schneiders
02-04-2005, 01:02 PM
doing that. All of the others opened up to a blank page.

They enlarged for me by clicking on the pic. Might be the sensor but it's also pretty wet up by the pan gasket. I'd wash the whole area off with brake wash/carb cleaner, go for a ride & check it afterwards. This should show you the source of your leak although you could have more then one. I've got a small leak from my pan gasket but living in the snow belt I consider it rust prevention & don't worry about it.

billb
02-04-2005, 01:40 PM
It's pretty wet up behind the vibration dampener area. I would think the pan gasket would normally leak pretty much back and down, but not up so much. Might want to clean it all up with Simple Green and see where the leak sprouts first.

Jr ///M5
02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Ok, here's what I think, as if it mattered...=)

I think Bill B. is right, but I also suspect the pan gasket to be seeping a little and with help from the fan, it's blowing it all over the underside. Take a 10 mm socket with a 1/4" drive and 12" extention and gently tighten the bolts holding the oil pan on. I've had the pan gasket on my 535 seep and about a half a turn on each one stopped it.
Take some more pictures of the area between the block and the pulleys, it looks as though most of the leakage is coming from this area and running down until the fan blows it all over the pan area.

Jr