PDA

View Full Version : Strange Code and Emissions Issue

pwalk100
02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
After a few years with no problems passing inspection, yesterday I failed...

At Idle I was at 420 instead of 220 (Serious failure). I'm at 132K miles and I replaced the O2 and did a tune up at aboput 118K. I did the stomp test and got stange results (it's like .5 second, 1 second delay and 2 seconds on, repeat forever). I disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight. When I started it up the CE light was solid on, and then after the drive to work I got the same weird stomp result. I orderd a new O2 from BMA just in case, but I'm not sure that will fix the prob since it's been done so recently. I'm guessing I need to look for a vaccuum leak, but I never done that before so any tips would be helpful. Any other thoughts, especially on the strange stomp results, are apprecieated. I did a search last night and found a couple of posts where people got the same stomp problem, but it appears as if the issue went away after they disconnected the battery for the night.

Thanks,
Phil

93 525iT

pwalk100
02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm going to replace the O2 Sensor, but with the strange stomp output I don't know if that will help. Two questions:

1) Any ideas to get my idle emissions to pass (besides heating the cat, pouring in magic goo, etc)

2) I really want to get the stomp test to output good info. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help. I've been reading this board for 2 years, but haven't posted since the new board.

-Phil
93 525iT