PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help with my e34 525i?

damianoz
02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a 1992 e34 525i and the battery died whilst the car was parked up for a while (maybe the alarm drained it?) I can only open the boot with my keys so I can`t open the bonnet to replace/charge the battery. Is there any way of of opening the bonnet from underneath the car or does anyone have any other suggestions? thankyou...

drum2430
02-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I have a 1992 e34 525i and the battery died whilst the car was parked up for a while (maybe the alarm drained it?) I can only open the boot with my keys so I can`t open the bonnet to replace/charge the battery. Is there any way of of opening the bonnet from underneath the car or does anyone have any other suggestions? thankyou...

Hey Damianoz,

There is a way to bypass the power locks. I am doing this from memory and it has been a while but I think this is right. On the passenger door hold up the door handle while turning the key to the unlock position. I think this should do it. Another option is to take another fully charged battery and attach it with cables positive to the starter motor terminal and negative to the frame then use the power from this battery to open the locks. This is a little more bother obviously but if the first option doesn't work this one should.

Good luck,

Gordo.

shogun
02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
My lockout experience (copied from another board)

I read in the past several posts telling how to unlock an E32 with a completelly dead battery. Well this weekend was my time to use that info. The key emergency procedure didn't work. I almost broke the key
and couldn't get it open. So went to external power up options. Went under the car and honestly that is absolutelly too much troble trying to connect a cable in the starter, so I lowered the car and went to plan C.
Opened the trunk, got the trunk light out of the socket, took my continuity tester to see what was ground and what was +. Hook my batery charger on the corresponding leads, went to the door, twisted my keys as normal and done..!
So, if I have to suggest someone how to do it, if the emergency key unlock fails, Plan C is by far the most simple way.
-----------------------------------------
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm

Jeanfb
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
;) The Key trick does work - - from the Passenger door lock only - says so in my users manual (US model car) - and I had to try it for real - only once - when my dinky glove box flashlight gave up the gost and drained my battery dead.

damianoz
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks a lot, it worked and saved alot of time. :D