PDA

View Full Version : Question on Exhaust

kick7ca
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Can someone please clarify how 535i mufflers are sold.
All I've seen at BMA are 2 peice systems.
Does the 2nd piece include both muffers while the first peice is the converters and downpipe?
Or are the 1st and 2nd pieces the first and second mufflers?

Thanks

George M
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
The first piece or center piece also sometimes referred to as the resonator begins just rearward of the cat back to the front of the rear muffler. The rear muffler is just the cannister with two short inlets and of course two stainless outlet pipes.
HTH,
George

JonE
02-01-2005, 05:45 PM
I think the original exhaust systems were a one piece system (both resonator and muffler connected together). Now it seems the after market ones are two pieces separate. Some have lined them up and welded them prior to installation.

Jr ///M5
02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Exactly as George says, two piece system. They used to be one piece, but shipping was a killer. The M5 exhaust is still one piece though. As Jon suggests, the old system is usually layed out and a jig built to hold the new one in the proper position so it can be welded. They won't be able to weld it in place as there isn't room enough.

How'd the deal go down George? Hope everything is fine....

Jr

George M
02-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Jr,
Gonna go down later this week. Appears to be a done deal. Will let you know if/when it happens.
Thank goodness Jr the weather is finally moderating where you and I live...been a seriously cold run.
Cheers,
George