PDA

View Full Version : 525i '91... should I buy it ?

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:00 PM
I guys,

I just arrived on this forum, so "Hello everybody !"

Here's my problem :
I have the opportunity to buy a '91 full option 525i for a quite interesting price, but the car has 270 000kms (167 400miles). The car is in really good state (or at least really seems to).
That's the car of my girl friend father, so I trust him when he says the car has always been well used.
Do you think that baby could still drive me mad for years, or will she become to give me lots of problems ?
I could solve most of the common problems myself, but if the motor leaves me on the side of the road in 6 months, that wouldn't be funny...

What are your advices ? Or things I should pay attention to ?

Thanks a lot !

Nicolas

best535iever
01-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Nicolas

my advice is... NEVER trust your "girlfriend's father"!

Seriously in my experiences. That is not bad mileage. My 535 has close to that. And shes still runnin strong. good luck! w/ the car and the girlfriend. haha

granit_silber
01-31-2005, 02:22 PM
I guys,

I just arrived on this forum, so "Hello everybody !"

Here's my problem :
I have the opportunity to buy a '91 full option 525i for a quite interesting price, but the car has 270 000kms (167 400miles). The car is in really good state (or at least really seems to).
That's the car of my girl friend father, so I trust him when he says the car has always been well used.
Do you think that baby could still drive me mad for years, or will she become to give me lots of problems ?
I could solve most of the common problems myself, but if the motor leaves me on the side of the road in 6 months, that wouldn't be funny...

Thanks a lot !

Nicolas

with 157,000 on the clock. The only trouble I have right now is consumables (i.e. wind seals, weather stripping) and a little owner neglect (2 tiny rust spots). Mechanically, my air compressor is dying and my suspension is getting a little tired, but the thing runs awesome and it shifts like new. I love it!

Get your girlfriend's father to show the service records on the car. As long as it's been regularly maintained, it drives/shifts well, and you feel comfortable buying a car from your girlfriend's father, I say go for it. I love mine and would love to own several others. :D
-ashley

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Of course, that's a point of view ;-)

DanDombrowski
01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Think of it this way: Do you think her father really wants you to have a car that just might 'break down' somewhere down the road so you have to go in the backseat and get busy until the tow truck arrives?

I sense english isn't your first language, so if you didn't get the joke, don't take my advice seriously.

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I have all the services records, the car has been well and regurlarly maintained. I've already droved it... and... she's amazing... :) The only things that worries me, as I said, is the mileage...
And the cost of the car, as I'm just 22years old, and such a car costs a lot in insurances and taxes in belgium...

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
No, english isn't my first language ;)

But I got the joke ;)

JD525IA
01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
When you say she could drive you nuts or leave you stranded on the roadside, are you talking about the car or the girlfriend? Ha Ha!

Seriously, 164k miles, IMHO, is just getting broken in on a lot of BMW's. What is the crazy price he is asking?

Keep us filled in on the details!

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
He's asking me 2500€.
But that may just have no sense if you're all from USA...

Here are some pics of the baby :
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i1.jpg
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i2.jpg
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i3.jpg

best535iever
01-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Of course, that's a point of view ;-)

Hey welcome to the forum. Im new myself and in my short time on this board, Ive found some great advice from some guys who sound like they know what they are talking about. so keep us filled in w/ the bimmer. If u decide to buy... im sure you wont be dissappointed :)

granit_silber
01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
He's asking me 2500€.
But that may just have no sense if you're all from USA...

Here are some pics of the baby :
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i1.jpg
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i2.jpg
http://rcsnoop.no-ip.com/bmw/525i3.jpg

Is that roughly 5,000 - 6,000 USD?

Who cares?!? DO IT!!! Take a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th job to cover the insurance.

-ashley

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
3250 Usd

best535iever
01-31-2005, 02:52 PM
3250 Usd

WOW! your girls dad must love you! Sounds like a steal. I'd jump on that one man.

snoop
01-31-2005, 02:56 PM
It seem E34 are hard to find cars in the USA... maybe I could become importer ;)

I think I'll jump on it, I'm waiting replies from insurances to know if they at least accept to cover me...

632 Regal
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
525///M ?

what up wit that

Javier
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
not only the changed signs.

Javier

John in CT
01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Snoop; The car looks clean and has some options not common in the US. Those wheels look really nice and are probably valuable, same for the rear spoiler. 3300 USD is excellent price for that car, assuming it looks as well in person as the photos suggest. Many posters from this board may not be aware of Euro rules concerning older cars, here in Connecticut there is zero Government inspection of my car except for once every two years air pollution results.itwould not surprise me if Belgian standards are very strict. This means that commonly neglected items like brakes and bshings are not allowed to deteriorate as in the US.

Does that year euro 525 has the 24 valve head? I assume manual 5-speed, the auto gearboxes are expensive to replace, periodic service is recommended,

My 1995 525i 5-speed is very economical on the highway, a little greedy for petrol around town,

Good luck,

John

peks
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
looks great! for 3300 id snap that up if it runs and drives as good as it looks.. my 535 has 230k miles on it and running strong. but then ist an m30..

but please.. get rid of the big ugly fake ///M

snoop
02-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Bad news guys...

Just had a call from my insurance broker, and no insurance company agree to cover me, because of the car power... they accept only cars up to 80 kw for persons under 24 or 26 years old.
The rules concerning cars are stronger than the one in USA, but the car still pass it without any problems...

I'm really disappointed ... Having to miss such an opportunity, just because of a f****** insurance...

But I still hope, who knows...

SnooP

Reidal
02-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi SnooP

It is a nice looking ride. Keep searching.

There will be an insurance company who, for a an additional cost loading will cover you for anything.

Once you have that cost, you can make your decision (and it would only be for a couple of years till you could go back to standard insurance).

snoop
02-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Today's news :

I'm still looking for an insurance, but heard that there is a governemental organisation which takes care that everyone could get an insurance... I'll call them to ask the question for my special case, but I'm quite afraid for the price they're going to ask me...

To be continued...

Nicolas

best535iever
02-03-2005, 10:31 PM
what the latest word snoop?

snoop
02-06-2005, 07:25 AM
The latest word ? Nicolas? That's my first name ;)

SnooP

Mitch90535im
02-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Looks great (except forthe M badges).

Alan_525i
02-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Why didn't he get the BIG M badge??? :D

Seriously, the car looks great. Find a way to get it and get around the insurance issue.

snoop
02-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I'll of course try anything to get that car, I'm spending so much time calling insurances, and speeking of it with my friends...

That car is going to cost me lot of money, but also so much fun !

SnooP

billb
02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Bad news guys...

Just had a call from my insurance broker, and no insurance company agree to cover me, because of the car power... they accept only cars up to 80 kw for persons under 24 or 26 years old.
The rules concerning cars are stronger than the one in USA, but the car still pass it without any problems...

I'm really disappointed ... Having to miss such an opportunity, just because of a f****** insurance...

But I still hope, who knows...

SnooP

80 kW is 107 hp. Ouch. Even my lowly old '85 RX7 probably had more than that with my free-flowing cat. Can you imagine a US insurance agent denying me insurance in my E30 318is, with its 135hp stock?

snoop
03-07-2005, 04:53 AM
80 kW is 107 hp. Ouch. Even my lowly old '85 RX7 probably had more than that with my free-flowing cat. Can you imagine a US insurance agent denying me insurance in my E30 318is, with its 135hp stock?

Insurances in Belgium are very strict with young drivers, and even more with young drivers and powerful cars...
But I've found a way to get an insurance, I sent all the informations and I'm waiting their reply, it should come soon...
The way, is that, in Belgium (maybe in all Europe), you HAVE TO be insured, BUT, an insurance isn't forced to accept you... So there is a problem in the law, as some people could be unable to drive, beeing stuck between these laws...

For those persons, a federal organisation has been created, which normally accepts everybody. I'm just afraid of the amount I'll have to pay...

I should set a website "help snoop to get and pay his E34" :p who knows, I could maybe even get the last M5 with that ;) lol

Snoop

snoop
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi guys !

For those who remember me (or the one who read the thread ;) ) I was trying to get my 525i ...

The story is (finally :p) over !
I got an insurance, and I should receive the plates on tuesday or wednesday !

I don't think I have to explain you how I'm impatient ;)

SnooP

uscharalph
05-06-2005, 12:05 PM
That insurance issue is so different from over here. I think insurance companies are only too happy to insure young drivers (At a sizeable premium).

CheapCheap1
05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
That insurance issue is so different from over here. I think insurance companies are only too happy to insure young drivers (At a sizeable premium).
In my hood, we called the "Highway Robber"--not the insurance company!!! :)

snoop
05-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Finally, it's done, I've my E34 !

That car is really amazing, I have lot of pleasure and fun with it !

I'll try to post photo's in the next days ;)

SnooP