PDA

View Full Version : '92 525i "Convienience" features

BlackOnBlack
01-31-2005, 10:09 AM
The manual mentions a few convienience features like: sunroof and windows can be closed by holding the key in the lock position on the door; a flashlight in the glove box; a light in the engine compartment; driver's window lowers with one quick touch.

Does anyone know if these were factory options or if they should be on all cars?
The '92 525im I bought last week doesn't do any of these. I'm just wondering if they are all broke or if I just don't have them.

Thanks,
Steve

JonE
01-31-2005, 10:16 AM
The electric sunroof should have the one-touch open and close feature as well. Mine didn't come with the glovebox flashlight, but had the plug-in, so I bought a flashlight for it. I'm not sure if all the e34's had those features standard.

shogun
01-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Should be standard on all E34 and E32.
Keep/hold the key long enough in that position (did you turn the key far enough?). The same you can do with the remote control.

The one touch function is a bit tricky to learn first. Just the right timing of the tip and then it works. Maybe you even have the one touch for all windows, but only DOWN. Only drivers window has a one touch up function.
Greeting from the toll road money collector :-)

All functions are controlled from the GM (general module) which gives the 'order' to the relay module and so forth.

Scott and Joyce
01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
The manual mentions a few convienience features like: sunroof and windows can be closed by holding the key in the lock position on the door; a flashlight in the glove box; a light in the engine compartment; driver's window lowers with one quick touch.

Does anyone know if these were factory options or if they should be on all cars?
The '92 525im I bought last week doesn't do any of these. I'm just wondering if they are all broke or if I just don't have them.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi STeve,
Our 91 525I has all that stuff. The windows and sunroof take a little practice. Really a trip to discover that they all still worked. Except for the flashlight that is. Someone must have nabbed it.
Aloha,
Scott and Joyce.

infinity5
01-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I wish i had an engine compartment light.. hmm. anyone snap a quick pic of theirs? i guess i could just stick one in myself.

me4mimes
01-31-2005, 11:25 PM
is there a plug for an engine compartment light that you can add?

shogun
01-31-2005, 11:41 PM
here is a nice idea from someone from Germany.
http://www.vitzliputzli.de/bmw/umbauten/kofferraumlicht/kofferraumlicht.jpg
Installed 2 lights which are usually used behind the sunvisor for the cosmetics mirror in the trunk.
He bought them off *bay for $ 2/each.
If you cannot find them, just use the one from behind the passenger sunvisor with the effect that this may reduce expenses for cosmetics ;-)
In the E32 there are 2 trunk lights, 1 x the trunk lid light and the other one is the trunk compartment light. Both are connected in series and switch on when the trunk lid is lifted.

For the engine room you can also install the light (actually any light available from an after market store, then install a switch for the hood and connect it to a wire going to the parking lights or headlights.
Very easy, but I think I would not additionally install it. Actually I have one.

Paul in NZ
02-01-2005, 02:05 AM
yeah the engine compartment light only comes on if the lights are on To check the convenience feature leave all the windows down And the sunroof.The windows will close one by one after about a 3 or 4 second pause while you hold the key in the lock(or deadlock,depending on the age of the car) position and finally the sunroof thunks shut.

BlackOnBlack
02-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the help. Indeed, all "convenience" features work properly. It was me that didn't!
Don't think there is an engine compartment light.
Steve

Paul in NZ
02-02-2005, 04:27 AM
if it is there it is high up in front of the passengers side for me(driver for you) embedded in the sound insulation