PDA

View Full Version : Why is the e34 so popular

me4mimes
01-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I bought a 1992 525i as my first car and i have noticed there is essentially a die hard fan cluster to the 90's bmw's, and especially to the e34. Why such a following?

Andrea K
01-30-2005, 08:17 PM
i guess maybe because it's amazing... :p i dont really know

philbyil
01-30-2005, 08:26 PM
IMHO - It's the last of the BMW's on which you can do the bulk of the maintenance. Not TOO full of electrickery.....

infinity5
01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I think its two things, looks and feel. the e34 is a perfect blend between the boxy old volvo-looking bimmers from the 80's and todays newer sleek 'isthatahondaaccord?' bimmers ;) IMHO of course. i'm sure lots of people here love the newer bimmers and their sleak lines and whatnot. I can see beauty in both, but the e34 is definatly the best.

The second reason is ride and feel. The e34 is rock solid and handles great despite the silky smoothness of it all and its 3500lb weight. as i've heard it the newer modles and the older models just don't have this feel. i mean.. honestly, everyone and their damn dog has a new 3 series now. we might all have 7's except they're even more expensive, more expensive to maintain, and, for me, wayyy to big.

Qsilver7
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
handling, driveability, technology, creature comforts, attention to detail, plus name cache for the amount of money you paid? Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.....eeehhhhhhhh....times up!

Many times you hear the terms reliability and durability tossed around...well the e34 has durability. You may buy one of those reliable Hondas or Toyotas..and their reputation holds true :p most times you can drive them into the ground...but that's just what it will look like after 10 years...like you've driven it into the ground! :D

A well maintained e34 still looks great and handles great and still holds up to its critical acclaim bestowed upon it by the Press in its hey-day. I paid $7900 for my Touring...what other car for that price comes with full leather seats (and not just the seating surface), real wood trim, keyless entry, traction control, door lock heaters, heated mirrors, car anti-theft immobilizer, trip cpu, programmable electro/hydraulic tranny, etc, etc, etc. What a DEAL! :D

Jr ///M5
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1321.jpg

Timeless, plus they even come in models like this one!

The best of everything!

winfred
01-30-2005, 09:25 PM
hmmm... must paint my 535

The best of everything!

bjl4776
01-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Jr, you need to stop flashing that picture around, it makes everybody here jealous. Who wouldn't want a beauty like yours?

Kalevera
01-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah...that car is orgasmic.

Back on topic: why did you buy the car?

.... that's what I thought.

best, whit

Alan_525i
01-30-2005, 10:32 PM
I think of the BMW enthusiasts out there there is great respect for the E34/E32/E30. IMHO, they are the last of the BMWs that you can keep for 200K miles and the car still feels close to how it did on day one (providing regular maint.). E36s seem to fall apart very quickly (rattles, trim defects etc). E39s don't seem to wear as well as the E34s. E38s are just impossible to own at higher mileages with everything breaking.

me4mimes
01-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah...that car is orgasmic.

Back on topic: why did you buy the car?

.... that's what I thought.

best, whit

i bought the thing because it was $3000 and runs like a charm, its just a totaled,salvage reconstruct and because it was a manual with more than 160 HP

Paul in NZ
01-31-2005, 02:16 AM
all of the above,plus for me the 535 when released was the ultimate sedan,and in nz cost as much as a house!.I never dreamed one day I would have one!.And lastly it fit my criteria,rwd, manual, genuine 4 adult seater,with GOOD torque.The fact that is a sport with all that kit had nothing to do with it!

Kalevera
01-31-2005, 02:36 AM
'scuse me for sounding cynical...but why not just buy a $3000 V6 camry that runs like a charm? :)

The reason I bought the car: in my book, there's just nothing that rides as well on the highway, is as classy and simple to work on as a non-V8 e34. Sure, I looked at the W126-bodied Mercs (and others of the same era), but forget about working on one of those in your driveway while surviving the parts bill. Plus...vacuum lock systems, whacky suspensions...the list goes on. Aside: a friend with a 560SEL now calls me "Fredo" for "betraying the family"...this is the same guy who paid the stealer $600 to replace a control arm. No thanks.

Why not a Toyota? I owned one. Lasted to 86k before it rusted out and threw a rod. Fritz has 221k, no rust, and doesn't look to be due for a new long block for at least another 100k....Brett Anderson says I'll get 400k out of it. 'nuff said.

Were I to buy a car off the lot and didn't have the resources to procure a BMW, I would get a Subaru. According to a friend who works with the top brass from most of the major car manufacturers in the world (and, incidentally, who developed the interior systems and materials in one of BMW's concept cars): gas mileage aside, they're the best made cars around...that, and I can't stand the thought of buying a Honda.

best, whit

Mobius
01-31-2005, 04:55 AM
In my opinion, the E30, E34 and E36 epitomize BMW's overall 'image'.

I love my car because people still honestly think it's new - and are surprised when I tell them it's 12 years old.

peks
01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
RWD! power! quality, ride, handling, and fun to work on. Previous car was a 93 maxima se. it had power, not as much, quality was ok, ride ok, handling ok, no class, and a nightmare to work on..

Jason
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Sure the E39 is nice, but there is not that same connected feel that the E34 has. The E34 is luxurious, but it still feels like the driving part of the equation won out. Same with the E30, its so much more purposeful than the E36 IMO, no frills (less to break), really solid feel, fun as hell to drive, and you can work on them (E34's too). Also imo, i think that the mid 80's to the last of the traditionally styled BMWs were some of the company's best work.

best535iever
01-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I love you ride. Especially the rims. Did you get them locally or did u get them via internet? any info on those rims would be appreciated. THANKS

jj7
01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Personally, the first BMW i bought was a 520iM/91, the day i bought it i was like hypnotized, didnt want to leave it for a second.The time i thought of buying a BMW,i had in mind a 320i, but when i tried the 520, i knew this is my car; in my opinion i think its a car going both ways: its a family car,where space is plenty and its classy, THEN its a sports car and puts one in the right mooood.Above all i think its a safe car,well built and solid as a rock

PS/ doesnt everybody here may seem to agree that when any car stops next to you,they try to race and try their luck :D

Sean H
01-31-2005, 02:34 PM

The best of everything!

He speaks the truth!
Hmm...silver, clear corners, style five wheels...where have I seen this before?
https://www.student.gsu.edu/~jhannay1/89535i1.jpg

I really need to get some more pics up.

granit_silber
01-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Sure the E39 is nice, but there is not that same connected feel that the E34 has. The E34 is luxurious, but it still feels like the driving part of the equation won out. Same with the E30, its so much more purposeful than the E36 IMO, no frills (less to break), really solid feel, fun as hell to drive, and you can work on them (E34's too). Also imo, i think that the mid 80's to the last of the traditionally styled BMWs were some of the company's best work.

The hood (bonnet) opens the correct way. :D
-ashley

MantecaBMW
01-31-2005, 02:52 PM
You just can't beat the drive............

And durability....220k miles and running smooth!

Incantation
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
because it's the best car

Bubble
01-31-2005, 04:55 PM
What are those wheels. They look great.
The whole car looks great, but I love those wheels.

Bubble

best535iever
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
YEAH! i want those rims too! Anybody know where this guy lives? haha

tim s
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
1987 325e manual. now it is the wife's car. i payed $400.00 for it with a bad connector to fuel injector 5. lots of fun to drive & handles nice for a play toy.
but after a little while i formed a need, a need for speed. that is why i bought the 1995 540i/a. it definitly sucks how much i spend on fuel, but well worth the it.
it did make it easy to become an enthusiast since the wife became one.
to think i would not have purchased the first bmw if my nephew did not pressure me into it. the only bmw he ever owned was an ugly orange 1984 318i with over 225,000miles on it.
tim s.

stu1
01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
It's like a good album. Nearly every day I drive it it manages to suprise me in some way - today it was the way it literally kicked me across a roundabout; at about 3500rpm it digs it's rear heels in and away we go! And below 3500 it's quite docile and controlled.

The mechanics as well; incredibly well thought out; for example the oil filter at the top of the engine (not going to mention trying to get the viscous fan off though :)); everything (nearly) easy to get at and replace.

Then the comfort, silence, refinement. I wish I'd known about these cars 10 years ago; would never have bought anything else. It makes other cars look like toys. Today I was in a brand spanking new Saab 93; cramped, noisy and like sitting on a building brick.

willobmw
01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Because when it was new and even 16 years later it is still one of the best sports sedan money can buy. Considering the 89 535i cost in the upwards of 40k and the M5 50k plus, they are bargains now. Proper maintained ones are still tight as a drum and are very reliable. One of the all time great highway cruisers and real sleepers on city streets.
Willo
1990 535i

me4mimes
01-31-2005, 11:16 PM
ok, those rims sould have been bought as an option, i have a friend who has an identical car as mine except for his rims and its an automatic, he has those rims. You can get those rims aftermarket online or if your lucky a wrecking yard. in my opinion they are the sexiest rims in existence.

DueyT
02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
What are those wheels. They look great.
The whole car looks great, but I love those wheels.

Bubble
Bubble, welcome!

Those are BMW Style #5 wheels...notwithstanding the M-Tech Turbines or M-parallels...most folks think the #5's are the nicest wheel you can put on an E34.

Hmmm....I tend to agree with them! ;)

Cheers,
Duey

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-03-2005, 01:41 AM
I love that signature pic!

YEAH! i want those rims too! Anybody know where this guy lives? haha

Zeuk in Oz
02-03-2005, 05:42 PM
"Why such a following?"
In my opinion the single factor which sold me on the car was the handling, not just at high speed, my first drive of one was around the block ! The rear suspension setup is magnificent ! :D
I would even go so far as to say that sometimes engineers get a design even better than they were hoping for, and I suspect that is what happened with the E34 suspension setup. In other words they fluked it.
I do not get the same "feel" driving the E39.
I think that the current X5 (particularly the 3 litre diesel) is similarly "out of the box".

paul p (chi-town)
02-09-2005, 04:37 PM
and the car still feels close to how it did on day one (providing regular maint.). E36s seem to fall apart very quickly (rattles, trim defects etc). Ok.........that’s it. Getting a little tired of all the e36 bashin round here.
1 - As Ed and others of the chi-town crew can attest, given proper care an e36 can hold up w/ the best of em. Even Winfred got to see the condition ‘Rolf’ is in @ 13 years. My two years younger touring wishes it was in such nice shape. Heck, i’ve hopped into nearly new rentals that were more clapped out.
2 - Keep in mind, this was BMW’s entry level chassis. Inexpensive enough that 1st and certainly 2nd owners wouldn’t necessarily be the most responsible and anal when comes to vehicular care. It’s all about respecting your machinery. 5er owners would be older and...............ok, not gonna go there.
3 - Dunno bout the 318 but the small six cars are screamers, quickest thing out of Munich at the time save for the M5 and exotic 8s w/ 12s. That includes stick big sixers, if only by a hair.............sorry. I drive this car daily and gladly trade a little stability at 120mph for more maneuverability in the city or a burban mall parking mess (sic).
4 - Cachet?...........Whattevah!! Sure, i enjoy the admiring looks the E34 can generate, or confusion depending on what’s blasting out the stereo. ;) Still i own a BMW to drive it and not to wear it. The fact that an early calypso 325 4-door is now nearly invisible on the automotive landscape is actually a blessing. The car maker truly lost the faith when the e46 came out w/ steering that made it easier to park. *rolleyes*
Still the center stack is canted to the driver, offering that ‘cockpit’ feel. Don’t feel i’m missing anything looking at this dash. Except the fuel efficiency gauge dipping deeper.

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/rolf_st_wheel.jpg

4 - Car&Driver’s 10best list every year it was produced. Just like the original SE-R. The e34 didn’t clean sweep. Tho honestly, it easily could have. Don’t get me wrong.........i find much to admire about the e34. It may be the better distilled essence of what a Bimmer is supposed to be............if the pinnacle is a mid-size sedan vs. compact. I wouldn’t kick either out of my garage for drippin a few fluids, come to think of it i haven’t. ;)
Best of both worlds i guess............

”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004

rockyfeller
02-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Can you name a car that is 10 yrs old, has 4 doors, has nearly 300 hp and can still get over 22 mpg??? On top of that my 540i is loaded with everything that is still optional on many cars to this day. Rock solid, strong and a beautiful design executed at the pinnacle of German overengineering. The car will run half maintained but honestly to maintain it absoultely perfectly requires a ton of cash....especiially once the car reaches past 100k...hey it's not the car's fault though, certain things will wear out; technically the car can easily exceed 200k without real major headaches.

califblue
02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
cause it's UNREALRIGHTIOUSBITCHENANDGROOVY :p my .02

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes, Rolf looks like new. Unbelievable for a 13 year old entry level car of any breed. You lucked out Paul. A lot can be said of how the car was maintained, and you certainly found one good one. I'm sure there's more out there, and of course a well maintained E36 will go just as many miles as a well maintained E34. Tender Loving care goes a long way.

Ok.........that’s it. Getting a little tired of all the e36 bashin round here.
1 - As Ed and others of the chi-town crew can attest, given proper care an e36 can hold up w/ the best of em. Even Winfred got to see the condition ‘Rolf’ is in @ 13 years. My two years younger touring wishes it was in such nice shape. Heck, i’ve hopped into nearly new rentals that were more clapped out.
[/size]

jplacson
02-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I have a bare-bones '89 520i. I was never one who liked the leather seats and all... so that never bothered me. But despite the fact that the only thing 'powered' in my car is the steering... there are a few things that still make my car better than some of the newest Japs on the market.

-Speed sensitive wipers (you never knew how wonderful these things are til you have them)
-Fully adjustable seats (they may not be BMW sports seats, but they have way more adjustments than your run-of-the-mill Toyota
-Handling...handling...handling. Bimmers in general always felt more balanced and predictable. You'd have to be pushing REAL hard (or driving drunk) to lose control of one. For a car that's 15 years old... it handles better than 90% of the NEW Jap cars on the road.
-Suspension... it's great! Just perfect!
-Sound proofing... you never realize how noisy the outside world is until you can shut it out. I don't think any other car withing this price range can offer this level of sound deadening.
-Durability... parts may be 2x more expensive than Toyota's... but they last 4x longer!
-Styling... even today, the E34s look like a modern car. Only car enthusiasts and Bimmer lovers know that it's an older generation. Slap on 17 or 18" rims, and it'll pass for a newer car.
-Maintenance... I think this was the last Bimmer to not really require extensive computer knowledge... hehehehe. The newer E36 and E39s already incorporate more electronics into their engine systems. This makes the engines more efficient and all...but are more difficult to service by DIY guys.
-IMO, the last "sporty" 5-series. And 2nd to the last good looking 5er. The E39 got a bit too refined for me (I do like it though, this was the last good looking 5er)... and I won't even touch the E60 (ugh! The only good things it has are the Celis Rings and that wonderful 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine)

John S Busby
02-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Search me. Mine came with a micky mouse set of metric alloys that cost a fortune to keep shod with rubber, the water pump has failed, the thrust arm bushes need replacing, it leaks oil from front crank oilseal/filter housing all at 95K. There again, it is a handsome beast and gives the impression that it's nicely screwed together even if some of the screwed together bits are of crap quality

Zeuk in Oz
02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
that wonderful 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine)

Another who has seen the light ! :)

jplacson
02-12-2005, 10:17 PM
hahahahaha! ya... I was blown away when I first saw the specs of the E46 330d! Then the 530d came out... then the new 535d (still a 3.0L btw). Now if only they offered retrofits of that new 535d (3.0L twin-stage turbo diesel) for the E34.... :)

You almost get the performance of an M... the fuel efficiency of a 318... better emissions... and all that lovely low-end torque!!! Although I've never seen an E46 towing anything... BMW claims the 330d has as much pulling power as 3 Ford Expeditions... that would make a funny ad. A little 3 series pulling more than that huge Ford clunker.