PDA

View Full Version : Skipping CD changer, advice requested...

Dave M
01-30-2005, 06:20 PM
I purchased a head unit and Bentleys from a board member a few months ago. In correspondance, he mentioned he had a CD changer that skipped, which he was willing to send for no additional cost (except shipping to Canada). What the heck I thought, I may as well give it a chance. Sure enough it skips.
So, has anyone had expeience getting these things fixed. If so, what is the best route and what to expect for cost. I would like to keep the system stock, but not if it costs an arm and a leg.

A facsimile of my free alpine skipper below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Body-Interior/CDChanger.jpg

Thanks again,

winfred
01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
could be a suspension problem within the changer or a fuzz ball on the lens, if it skips while parked then it's not the suspension system

Dave M
01-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, the car hasn't moved an inch, so it must be a fuzz-ball. Sure sounds expensive. Should I call an exterminator?
Thanks for the insight Winfred

winfred
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
you can try a cleaning disc with the whiskers on it and that may get it, i've takes several changers apart to manually extract said fuzz ball but theres a chance that you could screw something up, lint free cleaning media and non residual solvent, i use alcohol for solvent

Dave M
01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Will do, let you know if it works