PDA

View Full Version : power steering noise???

tim s
01-29-2005, 10:50 PM
is it possible for my power steering to make noise only when i am driving slow.
it does not make the noise when i am stopped. i checked the fluid level & it is low, but still readable on the bottom of the stick.
i do have a slow leak, but procrastinating on changing the hoses.
i am going to top it of now, but i not going anywhere else tonight.
the cap has chf 11s on it. i keep a bottle of it in the trunk.
thanks
tim s.

Randell
01-30-2005, 02:33 AM
yep, had the same problem, the steering was moaning when i'd be in a driveway/carpark/anywhere slow (can't remember if it made noise when i was turning while stationary, i assume it did) i just changed the leaky hose and topped it up... i also still had a reading on the stick, but it was obviously too low to keep the power steering happy

Jer
01-30-2005, 09:25 AM
is it possible for my power steering to make noise only when i am driving slow.
it does not make the noise when i am stopped. i checked the fluid level & it is low, but still readable on the bottom of the stick.
i do have a slow leak, but procrastinating on changing the hoses.
i am going to top it of now, but i not going anywhere else tonight.
the cap has chf 11s on it. i keep a bottle of it in the trunk.
thanks
tim s.
I had the same problem. It was driving me nuts. I described the noise to a friend of mine and he said air is getting into the line. Sure enough the hose leading from the resivoir to the pump was old and leaking. I changed it for $27 and the noise is gone. I hope thats all that is wrong with yours. Good luck.

PhilipJCaputo
01-30-2005, 02:24 PM
anyone have a part number for that hose?? I'm getting the same thing

how about fluid?? should I get BMW brand, or just some good stuff from auto zone

infinity5
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
one or two of the hoses is over a hunred dollars, and theyre impossible to reach on M60's. go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw and look up the diagrams for your bimmer. then check out BMA. if you do a search theres a good thread about this somewhere

tim s
01-30-2005, 02:37 PM
so i will let it go for now.
it just seemed odd that it only made the noise when driving.
thanks
tim s.

PhilipJCaputo
01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
I've only had the car for about 8 months... so my leak must be pretty slow...

Tim, do you just top it off with regular fluid from autozone?

philbyil
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Other than that, if it isn't leaking just change your fluid. Buy a few litres of Pentosin and use a turkey baster. Remove as much as you can with the baster then, with the motor running, turn your steering as far as you can side to side. Then do the same baster routine for 3 more times ple more times and you will have almost replaced the old fluid.
Others with problems with ATF p.s. systems, replace it using the baster method with Mobil1 synthetic ATF.

tim s
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
my mech. keeps it in stock.
tim s.

PhilipJCaputo
01-30-2005, 10:44 PM
I peeked in there tonight, and the fluid is well below the little stick..... in addition, the hoses comming out appear to be shimmering from what I guess is chf 11....

is the cfh 11 suppose to be brown?? almost the color of chocolate milk??