PDA

View Full Version : Aux water pump repair

duckloads
01-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Just to let everyone know........I think it might be possible to repair the auxilliary water pump. Mine has been leaking for a couple of weeks at the rate of a pint every couple of days, and I just got the nerve to take it apart to see what it is all about. Mine was leaking at the o-ring joint. I cleaned up all the parts and headed to my local hardware store and paid 47 cents for a new one. I used a little plumbers grease to lube the o-ring on assymbly.

Well I just got through driving the snot out of the car (well I had to test drive it) and all seems well. NO LEAKS!.

Good day,
Chris

shogun
01-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Often the plastic breaks and water/coolant enters the pump motor area. That is usually the end of the story for the pump.
Good Luck with your pump. Anyway, it is not that important, just makes the temperature inside the car a bit more stable when car runs at idle or when you have to stop at a signal.
Replaced the one on my car last summer after 16 years in operation.
It may rest in peace, has done it's job.

danzee
01-29-2005, 08:39 PM
The entire assembly is nicely made and easy to take apart (including the o-ring). On mine the magnet on the motor coupling disbonded. I bonded it back with the advice of an expert at our aerospace company ("use epoxy") and it seems to be fine in bench testing. Have not checked it in the car because I replaced the pump with a new one before disassembling the old one. I have no reason to believe it's not okay though.
In my case I really noticed the lack of heat at idle when my aux pump failed.
Z