PDA

View Full Version : First Bimmer Questions

BlackOnBlack
01-29-2005, 01:34 AM
I just bought a 1992 525i/5spd. Car is in great shape with 140K miles on it.
Black exterior/Black interior. 17 inch wheels. Very good looking.
I'm looking forward to learning and troubleshooting with the help of the forum.

I have a few questions:
Did all '92 525i's come with keyless remotes and if so, can I get another one?

The owner manual mentions a theft deterrent system and a light on the top of the dash. I don't see any light on the top of the dash. Did all 525s
definitely come with a theft deterrent system? (not the one on the radio)

I can only see the information center display when I turn the lights
on (and even then it's very dim). Is there a way to make it brighter during the day? The manual mentions a photoeye for brightness. Do these go bad?

It has a factory installed 6 CD changer in the trunk. When we try to listen to cd's, the display shows "disk error". I'm thinking that it might be a bad or dirty laser lens. Anyone ever have the same problem?

Is there anyway to open the trunk from inside the cabin?

Paul in NZ
01-29-2005, 03:57 AM
firstly welcome!
Dont know about the keyless remote
theft deterent is deadlocking and the dash led is the factory alarm
(note items in the manual with* are an option)
Information centre?If you mean the OBC;TEMP LIMIT RANGE ETC ETC,there are three small bulbs,here (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/panel_lights.htm) is how to change them
the disc error could be a dirty lens ..or worse
yes,lower your window and call out ;) .....if the car is unlocked the trunk is unlocked

shogun
01-29-2005, 08:58 AM
To open the trunk you can use the master key in the doors or the trunk. In a certain position the trunk will not be unlocked, try the positions of the trunk lock either - or + way and test.
There are other keys (valet key) where you cannot open the trunk and not the govepox compartment. It is all written in the owners manual.

check out there on this page
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/pg7.jpg

BlackOnBlack
01-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the help. Looking forward to this forum. I should have a picture up soon...looks much like yours.

Just a couple of follow up questions:

It's the actual display on the OBD screen that is dim. Do you know if bulb replacement will brighten it or is the actual LED display bad?

What is deadlocking?

Any idea on how to clean the lens in the CD Changer.

Again, Thanks

Qsilver7
01-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I just bought a 1992 525i/5spd. Car is in great shape with 140K miles on it.
Black exterior/Black interior. 17 inch wheels. Very good looking.
I'm looking forward to learning and troubleshooting with the help of the forum.

I have a few questions:
Did all '92 525i's come with keyless remotes and if so, can I get another one?

The owner manual mentions a theft deterrent system and a light on the top of the dash. I don't see any light on the top of the dash. Did all 525s
definitely come with a theft deterrent system? (not the one on the radio)

I can only see the information center display when I turn the lights
on (and even then it's very dim). Is there a way to make it brighter during the day? The manual mentions a photoeye for brightness. Do these go bad?

It has a factory installed 6 CD changer in the trunk. When we try to listen to cd's, the display shows "disk error". I'm thinking that it might be a bad or dirty laser lens. Anyone ever have the same problem?

Is there anyway to open the trunk from inside the cabin?

I believe it was sometime in 1993 that BMW installed the keyless entry unit in all e34s...before that, it was a dealer installed option. If you lift the rear seat you can check if the unit is there...if it is...all you'll need is a 3 button remote fob...and they are on eBay all the time. Click this link to see its location & what the RF (radio frequency) keyless entry system looks like: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/739005/3

As far as the CD changer...what direction are you inserting the disks? Unlike conventional wisdom...the disks load upside down in the magazine...so as you load them in the magazine sleeve...the shiny side is up (facing you) and the side with the writing is facing down.

And the trunk...don't quite know your reason for wanting to open the trunk from inside the car...but since you have an owners manual...turn to the section on opening the trunk. You should see that the trunk lock can be in two positions...in the following position ( -- ) the trunk will remain locked at all times and can only be unlocked with the key. If you leave the trunk lock in this position ( | ) the trunk will lock/unlock with the doors. This is one of the feautres of having a "central locking" system...which is different than the locking systems in US cars. I find keeping the trunk lock in this position useful in several ways. It makes it impossible to lock your keys in the trunk since you will have to always use your key or remote fob to lock the trunk...and if in one of those strange moments you lay your keys down while getting something out of the trunk..then slam the trunk shut before remembering the keys are still laying on the trunk floor...all you have to do is push the trunk button...open the trunk and retrieve your keys instead of calling a locksmith or home for someone to bring your spare key! :D Trust me...this happens to someone on the message boards about 2 to 3 times a year. Another good reason is that if you are unloading passengers that have something in the trunk...as long as the doors are unlocked...you don't have to turn the car off nor get out (if you don't want to) to get their stuff out of the trunk. All they need to do is push the button to open the trunk and get their stuff out...you can then take off when they are finished and if you need to secure the trunk...just push your door lock button and the cabin & trunk will be secure.

It's great you have an owners manual...many don't get them when they buy a used car. There are lots of small details in the manual that you really should take the time to read. I'll give you a couple of hints now...take the time to read how to get into the car if the battery goes dead. This question gets asked just about every week (in the winter) so be prepared and practice it now...you'll also see that you have a door lock heater on the driver's door lock that comes in handy when your area may recieve freezing rain (much like the Atlanta area is getting today). This may prevent you from damaging your car door lock or cracking a window by trying to pour warm water on a frozen door...so hopefully you get the point of taking the time to read you owners manual ...there are a lot of little things about your car you may not know you have available.

Congrats and good luck.

632 Regal
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
flip your cd's upside down.

BlackOnBlack
01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Ok, then....I'll take the "stupid" label...
Flipping the CDs worked...and it shows it right on the magazine holder! I guess I got a little too excited about having a Bimmer!

About the trunk...I was just wondering if you could actually pop it open from inside. Just a behavior from the cars I've owned before. Didn't know if I missed reading it somewhere.

I'll have to check under the seat at a later time for the remote control box. Seat seems to be in there pretty tight. Any tips for easy removal?

I haven't read the owner's manual in detail yet (obviously) but take a little bit each day. I didn't have a radio manual so I borrowed one from a lady at work with a '93 735i. And you're right...all kinds of things I'm not aware of!

Thanks for the quick help.
Steve

I believe it was sometime in 1993 that BMW installed the keyless entry unit in all e34s...before that, it was a dealer installed option. If you lift the rear seat you can check if the unit is there...if it is...all you'll need is a 3 button remote fob...and they are on eBay all the time. Click this link to see its location & what the RF (radio frequency) keyless entry system looks like: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/739005/3

As far as the CD changer...what direction are you inserting the disks? Unlike conventional wisdom...the disks load upside down in the magazine...so as you load them in the magazine sleeve...the shiny side is up (facing you) and the side with the writing is facing down.

And the trunk...don't quite know your reason for wanting to open the trunk from inside the car...but since you have an owners manual...turn to the section on opening the trunk. You should see that the trunk lock can be in two positions...in the following position ( -- ) the trunk will remain locked at all times and can only be unlocked with the key. If you leave the trunk lock in this position ( | ) the trunk will lock/unlock with the doors. This is one of the feautres of having a "central locking" system...which is different than the locking systems in US cars. I find keeping the trunk lock in this position useful in several ways. It makes it impossible to lock your keys in the trunk since you will have to always use your key or remote fob to lock the trunk...and if in one of those strange moments you lay your keys down while getting something out of the trunk..then slam the trunk shut before remembering the keys are still laying on the trunk floor...all you have to do is push the trunk button...open the trunk and retrieve your keys instead of calling a locksmith or home for someone to bring your spare key! :D Trust me...this happens to someone on the message boards about 2 to 3 times a year. Another good reason is that if you are unloading passengers that have something in the trunk...as long as the doors are unlocked...you don't have to turn the car off nor get out (if you don't want to) to get their stuff out of the trunk. All they need to do is push the button to open the trunk and get their stuff out...you can then take off when they are finished and if you need to secure the trunk...just push your door lock button and the cabin & trunk will be secure.

It's great you have an owners manual...many don't get them when they buy a used car. There are lots of small details in the manual that you really should take the time to read. I'll give you a couple of hints now...take the time to read how to get into the car if the battery goes dead. This question gets asked just about every week (in the winter) so be prepared and practice it now...you'll also see that you have a door lock heater on the driver's door lock that comes in handy when your area may recieve freezing rain (much like the Atlanta area is getting today). This may prevent you from damaging your car door lock or cracking a window by trying to pour warm water on a frozen door...so hopefully you get the point of taking the time to read you owners manual ...there are a lot of little things about your car you may not know you have available.

Congrats and good luck.

Paul in NZ
01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
there is not a trunk release inside the car,after a while you dont miss it,heck you only have to push a button......
Deadlocking means the doorlocks are locked down,you can only open with a key,the inside knobs dont operate the locks.
New bulbs ussually solve the problem of the dim display.Look carefully and check to make sure the display is complete.A torch may help but the display is backlit and new bulbs ussually work.

BlackOnBlack
01-29-2005, 06:55 PM
ok, one more quick one and then I'll leave this alone...

What do you mean by "torch"?

there is not a trunk release inside the car,after a while you dont miss it,heck you only have to push a button......
Deadlocking means the doorlocks are locked down,you can only open with a key,the inside knobs dont operate the locks.
New bulbs ussually solve the problem of the dim display.Look carefully and check to make sure the display is complete.A torch may help but the display is backlit and new bulbs ussually work.