PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing new bilsteins

batuka
01-28-2005, 09:51 PM
When I compared my old shocks to my new shocks and my new shocks have a shorter area between the lip and the top nut. What is going on? I am furious at the people who sent my shocks, but they say its for the right car! I have a 1992 525i, and the shock part # is PNE-3118-BE.

Am I right, which i am, the damn thing doesnt fit. Or are they right, or is the moon and jupiter lined up perfectly to create kaos.

Anyway, I dont have a car, i have to travel 60 miles to work, and im loosing money.

Thanks
Jonathan

winfred
01-28-2005, 10:18 PM
i show 6 different bilsteins on my parts program for a 525, i think 3 of those choices are sports for the same car with shorter springs, those are sports with that part number, it comes down to the size of the dust cap and the size of the nut under it, it's not allways a perfect science

Karl
01-28-2005, 10:21 PM
When I ordered mine, the folks were smart enough to ask me to measure the hole in the strut tower and size of the nut at the top of the shock. Apparently that's more meaningful than the build year.
You saved the old shocks, right?

batuka
01-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, i have the longer 22mm nut 2.5 inch dust plate and i need PNE-3119 instead of PNE-3118 with the 22 mm nut and 1.125 inch dust plate. If any wants some new 3118's OE performance shocks let me know for a good price.

glen-sj
01-29-2005, 11:44 AM
When I compared my old shocks to my new shocks and my new shocks have a shorter area between the lip and the top nut. What is going on? I am furious at the people who sent my shocks, but they say its for the right car! I have a 1992 525i, and the shock part # is PNE-3118-BE.

Am I right, which i am, the damn thing doesnt fit. Or are they right, or is the moon and jupiter lined up perfectly to create kaos.

Anyway, I dont have a car, i have to travel 60 miles to work, and im loosing money.

Thanks
Jonathan

I have a 92 525ia. I replaced the original shocks last year with Bilstein heavy duty shocks and the part number is P36-3022. The car has the large dust cover with a 22mm. I ordered the shocks from BMA.

glen-sj