PDA

View Full Version : Crashed my car

jpkasper
01-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Got sun-blinded this morning in a parking lot and sideswiped a handicapped parking pole. Driver's side front fender above the wheel (where it flares out) is the only damage, but it's damaged pretty good. Don't appear to be any creases, though. This especially sucks because I just sank some money into the car for new suspension parts, tires, etc.
Trying to decide whether to replace the fender myself or take it to a body shop for repair. I was going to get a pain job in the spring anyway, that's why I'm considering replacing the fender myself.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone got a fender for sale in the NJ area? The car is black.

Thanks,

Paul
'94 530ia

wengenstein
01-28-2005, 05:26 PM
If your getting it re-painted anyway you could order one online:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/index.html?cat=22&year=1994&make=BMW&model=530I&id=UXWHSVUf

It may not match but it's pretty cheap and in a couple months you'll forget it ever happened :)

Got sun-blinded this morning in a parking lot and sideswiped a handicapped parking pole. Driver's side front fender above the wheel (where it flares out) is the only damage, but it's damaged pretty good. Don't appear to be any creases, though. This especially sucks because I just sank some money into the car for new suspension parts, tires, etc.
Trying to decide whether to replace the fender myself or take it to a body shop for repair. I was going to get a pain job in the spring anyway, that's why I'm considering replacing the fender myself.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone got a fender for sale in the NJ area? The car is black.

Thanks,

Paul
'94 530ia

pundit
01-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Don't feel too bad. My boss has a Toyoya Prius (hybrid electric) with navigation GPS etc. etc. When I asked him what it was like he said it practically drove itself. Three weeks ago it appeared in his garage with the entire driver's side scraped from bumber to bumper. When I asked him what happened he said it was due to a pylon in an underground carpark. When I asked him how with all these navigational aids, GPS, warning voices etc how he could have possibly managed to sideswipe a pole that was right next to him he said.. "It wasn't me... it drove itself!"

"Just a moment! Just a moment! ... I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go one hundred percent failure within seventy-two hours..." :p

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~rowmat/BMW/comp_mal.gif

jpkasper
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
If your getting it re-painted anyway you could order one online:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/index.html?cat=22&year=1994&make=BMW&model=530I&id=UXWHSVUf

It may not match but it's pretty cheap and in a couple months you'll forget it ever happened :)

Thanks so much for the info. I feel so much better already. Are these quality parts? I assume they are primed and not painted.

Paul

Robin-535im
01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
You'll have all original VIN stickers still. Worth a few extra bucks at resale time at least. It's worth taking it to a good bodywork shop definitely. They can often work miracles, plus it's real hard to DIY and get it to look like you didn't! :)

632 Regal
01-28-2005, 06:45 PM
LMAO@ pundit!

Paul, if you dont have full coverage than get the fender and have a shop spray it before you plug it in, just masking tape the corners a few times to prevent chips and stuff. Might want to check the fenderwell, those are real cheap too.

If you have full coverage then turn it in.