PDA

View Full Version : E34 automatic tranny problems...help!

01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I have a '91 525 with 155k on the clock. This car is regularly serviced, but the last time I took it in for trans fluid change it started slipping when I accelerate after stopping. I checked the level (after driving 30min) and it appeared to be over filled, so I removed about a quart to bring it down to the full line, then drove another 10 miles home and checked it again, not only was it showing that it was overfilled again, but it wasn't shifting between reverse and drive without a noticeable delay. The service center is telling me the clutches are worn which essentially means a new TX, on a 14 year old car, I'm torn between fixing it and selling it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Kalevera
01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
155k is baby mileage for this car...just getting broken in...but it all depends on whether or not you like it. If you're worried about spending a few thousand on the car because it's got 155k, then you should probably just get rid of it.

If your trans indeed just has worn clutches, then the rebuild should be ~ $1000 from a reputable shop. My understanding of younger 525i trans configurations is lacking, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a ZF trans, but rather a GM with lifetime fluid? If so, it has to have that very specific, very expensive Shell fluid. If it's the ZF, then it's a very robust trans. The one in my car lasted to 220k+ with no apparent rebuild. Word of advice: if you want to keep it, don't drive it unless it's to a trans shop (assuming you've worked out the fluid level issues and that it ISN'T the problem). Even then, I'd have it towed were it mine.

Best, Whit

632 Regal
01-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I think this GM trans takes dextron III. Did you check the fluid while: car was warm/level/running? Have you ever had the trans filter changed? I would look into these things before freaking out.

01-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Trans has just been service by a BMW factory technician and Yes it was properly warmed up.

01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
It does not have the lifetime fluid, but does get serviced every 25K. I do like the car, however I'm getting tired of the continual 1-2k repairs I've had to do. New front end, new struts, new paint, new interior, new guage cluster, new cooling system (5 new radiators in 2 years) and I've replaced all cooling components including removing the head as we thought that was pressurizing the radiator causing the leak. The way it is now I'm going to have to fix the trans or take a beating on getting rid of it. I appreciate your input.

Regards
Steve

Dick Schneiders
01-28-2005, 05:50 PM

Kalevera
01-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Interesting...learn something new every day :)

Personally, I'd take it to an indy and have them fix it. I try to stay as far away from the stealers as possible...except for when I need to buy BMW coolant.

Or do a manual swap :) I would've done it on mine, but I didn't have access to the tools at the time, and I needed the car to be working.

Good luck, though!

best535iever
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a '91 525 with 155k on the clock. This car is regularly serviced, but the last time I took it in for trans fluid change it started slipping when I accelerate after stopping. I checked the level (after driving 30min) and it appeared to be over filled, so I removed about a quart to bring it down to the full line, then drove another 10 miles home and checked it again, not only was it showing that it was overfilled again, but it wasn't shifting between reverse and drive without a noticeable delay. The service center is telling me the clutches are worn which essentially means a new TX, on a 14 year old car, I'm torn between fixing it and selling it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
hey, ive got a 91 535. i had the car for about 2 weeks when it did the same thing your describing. Needless to say i was heartbroken. But i found a local guy that rebuilt it for me. I removed the tranny myself, which was a pain. youve got to remove the whole exhaust system from headers back. the guy that rebuilt it charged me 500 dollars. when i first drove it again it was like driving a different car. it drove wonderfully. my advice is to fix it. the car might b old, but its still beautiful and worth it. especially if you love the e34 like i do.

Karl
01-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I've heard multi stories about automatic trans needing work after 100K, so if yours went 155 that's pretty good. So the bad news is that it's due for a rebuild.
The good news is that you have the GM transmission, so your local independent trans shop is perfectly capable of doing the job much cheaper than the stealer.