PDA

View Full Version : Which struts to get?

rickm
01-27-2005, 09:15 AM
It's been a while since I posted, I'm now working for 4 different facilities and spend most of my time in my state car. Bleh. :P I drive it on the weekends and my wife drives it during the week if she wants to go out of town.

I was starting to get some shimmy. Noticed some spray up front, it looks like one of my struts is about to go. So, I'll be replacing them (along with the control arms and upgraded bushings).

Car is dead stock 1994 525ia. 15" bottle caps, etc, 130k.

I'm not sure I want to lower it at this time because I've been thinking about getting a MiniS and if I do would sell the car.

Which struts would work best on a dead stock car? I don't mind a slightly rougher ride if the handling improves. Also,for bushings.....750 or M5? I am thinking also about putting the M5 swaybars on at the same time. Make that having my indy do it since I'm never home.

TIA, hope everyone is doing well.

drum2430
01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
I have the Bilstein sport shock in my 535 with OEM springs. My thrust arm bushings are the 750's and I also have the M tech sway bars. My car has 18" wheels on it so the ride will be a little stiffer than your 15's.

Overall the handling is dramatically improved over the stock setup. Although it is very tight feeling, the ride is not at all annoying. My teeth are still firmly in place.

Should you decide to go with the M tech sways call Pacific BMW at 800-909-7278. My local "stealer" quoted me $400+ for just the front sway bar. Pacific shipped me front and rear with bushings to my door for $241.00. Their pricing is awesome.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up.

Gordo.

Gooch
01-27-2005, 02:23 PM
I just did the rears with Boge. Can't go wrong because they're original equipment. Also replace the bump stops, upper and lower spring pads, and shock mount.

SCA
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I replaced the OEM shocks & struts on my '92 525i with Bilstein tourings. It firmed up the ride a little and improved the handling. At the same time I replaced the sway bar links, control arms, thrust arms with 750 bushings, and rear shock mounts, bump stop pads, and all gaskets. Major improvement!