PDA

View Full Version : Cold start problem

peterllo
01-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Here is my blizzard tale. My '95 525i with manually on it ran great in the snow, new snow tires and it handled like a breeze in WV up in the mountains. It fired right up this past Saturday morning, the temp was about 24 outside. Sunday, about 1 below and the car would not start, it cranked and almost caught but would not catch. Ether, fuel line de-icer no go. Finally yesterday, about 5 below, I put a portable propane heater in it, hooked the car to jump it (the battery at that point I thought might be getting a bit weak due to the repeated cranking) still no go. Then moved the heater underhood for a few minutes. Cranked and cranked and cranked some more, it started to catch. My brother in law manipulated the throttle manually while I repeated the process, it finally caught. Blew out tons of white smoke, I mean for a couple of minutes. Kept it running at 2000 RPM until the temp gage moved out of the blue zone. It then idled and ran fine. This morning it fired right up, no check engine lights, purring like a kitten.

Anyone else with similar issues and ideas of what to fix? I had thought perhaps the security system was to blame due to the cold as the car wanted to start. It was symptomatic of injectors and fuel shut off.

Pwr2spare
01-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I've had this happen to me once or twice, usually on a very cold day were the car sat out all night. What I do is press the gas peddle to the floor and hold it there for the first couple of turns then release the peddle to about half throttle and it fires right up. Normally when its not so cold it will fire without doing the peddle thing. Good luck the next time.

Pwr2spare
01-27-2005, 11:10 AM
I've had this happen to me once or twice, usually on a very cold day were the car sat out all night. What I do is press the gas peddle to the floor and hold it there for the first couple of turns then release the peddle to about half throttle and it fires right up. Normally when its not so cold it will fire without doing the peddle thing. Good luck the next time.